Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRT and NG - Bodybuilding guide for intermediates

Default WRT and NG - Bodybuilding guide for intermediates

So you have been lifting for sometime and feel like you neeeeed that muscle mass?! You need that be in that hypertrophy range? Or you want that strength but without sacrificing hypertrophy? Welcome then, cause we are going to f*ck you up.

Strength, Hypertrophy, Resistance

What is your goal? Do you want to become strong? Do you want to become skinny-strong? Do you want to become massive even if you are packing a lot of fat but still having those traps lifting your shirt? Do you want to become a full-blown athlete? What is your goal?

Everyone must have a goal, a goal is what will keep you moving forward, will make you become the person that you want to be and bodybuilding/powerlifting isn't in anyway different, you just need a goal!

It's never to late, now that you have been doing some exercises and working out for some time (at least you should) you now have to think ahead, of course you have been making some progress, but this is when you want to go up a level and start doing splits:

How many Sets/Reps

There is a common believe that a determined number range will determine if you exercise was strength, hypertrophy or resistance based and of course that's true, but the number range itself isn't as linear as you might believe, of course at the same time it shouldn't be THAT much different between to individual, so that's why a range is used and not an exact number, just remember you are unique in your own way!

REPS

Strength- Between 1 and 5 reps (some say until 6, personally i like 5)

Hypertrophy- Between 8 and 12 (it usually depends on the muscle)

Resistance- More than 12

Now that you have those rough numbers, you need to learn how to use them regarding sets.

SETS

Now regarding sets, you have to learn that there are 3 different types of muscle: skeletal (voluntary muscle), cardiac (involuntary) and smooth (involuntary), each with their unique characteristics.

Skeletal is further divided into 2 types of muscle fibers, slow-twitching ones (Type I) and fast-twitching ones (Type II).

Type I - Red in color due to the presence of large volumes of myoglobin and mitochondria. Because of this they can have large amount of oxygen and be able to perform aerobic exercises. They will contract for a longer period of time but with less strength.

Type II - They can be red or white in color, since there are 3 different subtypes that will vary in strength and contracting speed, but all 3 fatigue fast. These are the ones that will help more in terms of gaining mass.

In terms of hypertrophy fast twitching
    are what you are aiming for so LETS DO THIS ( leroyyyyyyy jenkinssssssss)... ok nerd-mode off...

YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY YOURSELF WITH THIS

For muscles like the pectoralis major and the quads you really shouldn't a high rep range/many sets, but since your quads have more fast twitching fibers the rep range should be even lower but you could up the sets comparing to the pecs, you see where im going with this ?? If not don't worry this is for advance, but you maybe be willing to search and learn more about this subject.

To determine your type of fiber you can search for an online calculator, but since you are intermediate we don't need to go overboard about this subject.

SETS x Reps

Since i like Piloquin way of thinking for strength keep your sets somewhere between 3 and 5 and reps up to 5, for hypertrophy 3 to 4 sets, 8 to 12 reps (he believes in 10 i believe in 12)

Workout and resting time

Base on the work of Angel Spassov and Piloquin i will advise that your training should not take more than 1 hour because of the drop on your testosterone and raise on your cortisol levels and resting time should be anywhere from 1 min/2 for hypertrophy training to more than 5 min for strength training.

First things first!

1- Remember, the priority are those heavy compounds

2- Don't become a curl monkey

3- Use proper form

4- Don't use momentum

5- Don't curl on the squat rack, other people may need it, unless you workout at home

6- Do not use more weight than you can properly handle

7- Overtraining is not a myth, but it's not that easily achievable

8- Sleep and eat!

9- Target what you are the most weak first

10- Do not skip leg day!

11- DO NOT SKIP CARDIO!!! Look in the Cardio/Fat loss thread for more info (still in the works).

How to work "that" body part

Almost everyone wants a big pec, but keep in mind that your pec may already be your strong point and you don't want to look like this (i think) :

Well maybe you do...but even Johnny Bravo only skipped leg day, doesn't mean you should though.
    Another thing to keep in consideration is that the chest is more than just 1 muscle/muscle head, and so is the biceps, the legs, the tris, back, etc... it isn't all just one big muscle.

So for example personally my lower chest is bigger than the upper chest, so i always start with an incline or flat dumbbell or barbel press, since it's the time i have the most energy and focus i will give it my all.

Genetic and muscle imbalances

We ain't perfect but some of us are more perfect than others and genetics play a huge roll on that unfortunately. So no, even if you work as hard or even harder as "that guy" you may not look as good as him even if you have more muscle mass, why? Well because the point of insertion of his muscles are more aesthetically appealing than yours, so sorry!! But like i said before with the chest example, you may balance things a little bit, so do your part and don't let a guy that works out half of what you do be twice as good as you.

You may find that your muscles aren't balance visually, for example my left pec is a little bit larger than the right, of course since i see me naked everyday i noticed that, but my girlfriend never did until i mentioned it, so be careful you may notice something and be an emotional weight that others may not give 2 cents or even notice!

The best way to balance those muscles in my opinion is using dumbbells, the reason being because when i use a barbell i tend to use my strongest arm a little bit more, but when i use dumbbells with proper form both have to travel the same distance, stretch and contract the same way and use the same TUT (time under tension).

Rom (range of motion) and TUT (time under tension)

Well this is another topic where people don't see eye to eye, so i'll give you my own opinion and you should do your own research.

Your range of movement if you want to sculpt your body should be a full stretch and a contraction, now about the contraction people have different opinions personally i prefer to contract but without resting, so no lock-outs and no resting (people like to do that for example in the bicep curl they contract until they are resting).

The time under tension should also be goal-wise so imo this is what you should be aiming for:

Hypertrophy - 2 sec contracting (negative)- 0 sec on full contraction (neutral )- 1 sec stretching (positive)

Strenght - 1 sec contracting (negative)- 0 sec on full contraction (neutral )- explosion (positive)

Structural control - 3 sec contracting (negative)- 1 sec on full contraction (neutral )- 3 sec stretching (positive)

Exercises!

Now this is where it gets fun, there are exercises that i find key to muscle building and i speak regarding myself and others that train with me:

Back

Pullups - I remember these, when i started i could do 20! When i changed my nutrition and gained weight i couldn't do 1!! This in only 6 months because i couldn't handle the weight! But if you want that V-taper and those cobra wings like bruce lee do these.

Deadlift - I didn't do these because i felt my back wasn't strong enough (i did back extensions) and is an exercise that is MANDATORY that you perform with proper weight, i had 2 patients on the CT table that f*cked up their backs doing these! But they will work your lower back like no other.

Rows - Every kind of row is important to add size and mass to your back, so find what works best for you, dumbbells, cables, lying, standing, bent-over, just try and give them time and learn what your body needs!

Back extension - If you can't or are afraid of doing deadlifts, do these instead, they will burn your lower back and in a good way!

Chest

Bench Press- The "King" of all the exercises, for some reason people go bonkers with this one, everyone wants those huge pecs so they bench press like maniacs, but don't use to much weight cause you will cheat and won't gain what could!
    As a curiosity did you know bench press was one of arnolds weakest points strength-wise?
    When inclined i prefer dumbbells.

Incline/Decline Bench Press - It will target the upper part or lower part of your chest (duh), helping you balance that pec into roundness. Incline dumbbell press is my favorite.

Dips - The pec variation is a great way to workout the lower pec and can be an awesome bridge at the end of a chest workout to a tricep exercise.

Flies - Many don't like them, i love them, if you stretch enough your pecs will burn!! There are many variations so try them and don't use heavy weight, highers reps and lower weight on this one!

Legs

Squat - The leg king, the squat is a body movement that will suck your strength leaving you drooling on the floor if you ain't careful, but it's the best leg exercise!

Lunges - A great exercise that will make those quads burn, just don't do them before the squat!

Harmstring curls
    - They will make your legs feel more balanced and will make them bigger, so don't skip these!

Stiff-legged Deadlift - Great hamstring exercise but will also trigger your lower back so be careful not to overtrain your lower back!

Deficit calf raises - I like to do them on a STEP and a power rack with safety pins (some people do this on the smith-machine), high reps, great way to target those stubborn calves.

Shoulders

Military press- A tried and true great way to develop those boulder shoulders, mainly targeting the front deltoids.

Lateral raises - Make that shoulder pop hitting the medial deltoid!

Face-pulls/Bent-over lateral raises - Targeting mainly the many times forgotten rear deltoid, i love face-pulls!

Arms

Chinups - It's a kind of variation of the pullup, you will do these underhand and closer than pullups, they will work your lats a little bit less and more of your biceps will come into play.

Curls - Don't become a curl monkey! They are great for the biceps but remember those big compounds 1st. They will make them very tired.

Dips - Some people love skull-crushers, i love dips, i really like doing weighted dips, be careful not to go beyond parallel.

Rope- Maybe rope pushdowns or overhead extensions a rope will always make my triceps burn!

Splits!!

Now remember what i said about your goal? You will use splits depending on your goal and the amount of days you have available to your training.

There 3, 4, 5 and even 6 days splits, but since 6 days require advanced we ain't going there, for an intermediate i would say if you can do a 4 day split than you can try a 5 day split (the bro-split because its much used, badly used).

The main difference between a 4 and a 5 day split is the fact that the 5 day split usually has an arm day and most 4 day splits don't, but of course this isn't an exact science so people tend to do different things.

I'll give 2 examples in the Routines section of 2 different 4 days and 2 different 5 day splits, one for home, the other one for the gym.

Hitting more than once a week?!

Once again this may or may not work for you, it will depend on Volume/Frequency/Rest/Genetic/Nutrition. Some people do hit muscles twice a week (many use a 6 day split), for targeting a lacking body part, or just for show (mostly people use it for chest).

Again this may work for you, but i strongly advise using this if you ain't advanced or at least intermediate-advanced. It can lead you to overtraining.

The main problem i see is the recovery, talking NATURAL, when you are younger is not difficult to recover your muscles in time for another beating, but when you get older it really isn't as easy, you have to make sure your muscles have at least 72 hours of rest before stomping on them again and don't train 7 days a week! Give you muscle at least 2 full days of recovery, if you don't recover, you won't grow!

Routines

I usually start with either legs or back, almost never with chest, because everyone does chest on monday and it pisses me off.
    These are more hypertrophy based, regarding strength training you should use stronglifts or something similar.
    Also 4 day splits depend on your recovery and time, you are better doing 2 days, 1 day off and 2 more days, but you can do them straight if you have time problems.

4 day-split A

DAY 1 - Quads and Calves
    Squats - 3x8
    Leg press (close stance with medium weight) - 3x12
    Front squats - 4x5
    Leg extension - 3x10
    Standing calf raises - 3x15
    Seated machine calf raises - 3x15
    Ab roller or crunches - 3x15/20

DAY 2 - Chest
    Bench press - 4x8
    Incline DB bench press - 3x12
    Chest flies - 3x10
    Dips (chest variation) 3x10

DAY 3 - Back and Harmstrings
    Deadlift - 3x 8
    Pull-ups - 4x10
    Bent-over barbell rows- 3x8
    Bent-over dumbbell rows - 3x8
    Leg curls - 4x10
    Hanging leg raises - 3x10

DAY 4 - Shoulder and arms
    Military press - 4x10
    Upright rows - 3x8
    Face-pulls - 3x10
    Close grip bench press- 3x12
    Rope pulldown - 3x10
    Barbell curls - 3x10
    DB preacher curls - 3 x 10

4 day-split B

DAY 1 - Quads and Harmstrings
    Squats - 3x8
    Front squats - 4x5

Romanian Deadlifts - 3x8
    Leg extension - 3x10

Leg curls - 4x10

DAY 2 - Chest and triceps
    Bench press - 4x8
    Chest flies - 3x10

Rope pulldown - 3x10
    Crunches - 3x10

DAY 3 - Back and biceps

Deadlift - 3x 8
    Pull-ups - 4x10

Barbell curls - 3x10

DAY 4 - Shoulder and calves

Military press - 4x10
    Upright rows - 3x8
    Face-pulls - 3x10

Hanging leg raises - 3x15

4 day-split C

DAY 1 - Back and rear delt

Deadlift - 3x 8
    Pull-ups - 4x10

Face-pulls - 3x10

DAY 2 - Chest and medial delt
    Bench press - 4x8
    Chest flies - 3x10

Lateral raises - 3x8

DAY 3 - Leg

Squats - 3x8

Leg extension - 3x10
    Romanian Deadlifts -
    3x8
    Leg curls - 3x10

DAY 4 - Arms and front delt
    Rope pulldown - 3x10
    Barbell curls - 3x10

Military press - 3x10
    Upright rows - 3x8

4 day-split x2- Gym version

Upper-Lower split
    Upper is divided between Horizontal-Vertical exercises
    Lower is divided between quads and harmstrings

DAY 1 - Lower Body quad dominant
    Squats - 3x8
    Front squats - 4x5

DAY 2 - Upper body horizontal
    Bench press - 4x8
    Bent-over BB rows - 4x8
    DB rows - 3x10
    Overhead rope triceps extension - 3x10
    Face-pulls - 3x10

DAY 3 - Lower body harmstring dominant
    Stiff-legged deadlifts - 3x8
    Split squats - 3x8-12
    Leg curls - 4x8

DAY 4 - Upper body vertical
    Pullups - 4x10
    Military press - 4x10
    Upright rows - 3x8
    Dips - 4x12
    DB curls - 3x10
    Lateral raises- 3x10

4 day-split x2 - Home Version

Upper-Lower split
    Upper is divided between Horizontal-Vertical exercises
    Lower is divided between quads and harmstrings

DAY 1 - Lower Body quad dominant
    Squats - 3x8
    Lunges (with medium weight) - 3x12
    Front squats - 4x5

DAY 2 - Upper body horizontal
    Bench press - 4x8
    Bent-over BB rows - 4x8
    DB rows - 3x10
    Dumbbell triceps extension - 3x10
    Bent-over lateral raises - 3x10

DAY 3 - Lower body harmstring dominant
    Stiff-legged deadlifts - 3x8
    Glute ham raises - 3x8-12
    Leg curls - 4x8
    Seated dumbbell or plate calf raises - 3x15

DAY 4 - Upper body vertical
    Pullups - 4x10
    Military press - 4x10
    Upright rows - 3x8
    Bench or chair Dips - 4x12
    DB curls - 3x10
    Lateral raises- 3x10

--------------------------------------------------------------------

5 day-split A

DAY 1 - Quads and Harmstrings
    Squats - 3x8

Lunges - 3x8
    Leg extension - 3x10

Leg curls - 3x10

Romanian deadlift - 3x10

DAY 2 - Chest
    Incline DB bench press - 4x12

Bench press - 4x8
    Chest flies - 3x10

DAY 3 - Back

Deadlift - 3x 8
    Pull-ups - 4x10
    V-Bar pulldown - 3x8

Crunches - 3x15

DAY 4 - Shoulder and calves

Military press - 3x10
    Upright rows - 3x8
    Side Raises - 3x8
    Face-pulls - 3x10

DAY 5 - Arms
    Close-grip Bench press 3x10
    Hammer curls - 3x10
    Rope triceps pushdown - 3x10
    Preacher curl - 3x10
    Hanging lef raises - 3x15

------------------------------------------------------------------

There are lots of possible combinations and these are subject to change (if i see something that i may disagree later), just be sure to hit as much angles of those muscle as you can.

Supplements

Me and WRT still have to do this one.

Protein,Creatine,Multi-Vitamins,Pre-workouts,ZMA,Tribulus

Next guide is for cardio, fat loss and intermittent fasting, will be ready between 27-29 of april.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: This is a work in progress i have to review some things i've wrote and such, if i did a mistake somewhere please be helpful and warn me.
    I'm not an MD, im a radiology technician, unlike in the US here its a 5 year degree, that involves anatomy, physiology, etc and etc... but that doesn't make me in any way a know-it-all, so if you have doubts consult your family doctor, or if you can a Sports MD.
    Also i'm not an expert in any way and i haven't been lifting for 10y+ like many.

- Only one image per signature, 2 are fine, but only if they are small.
    - Signatures can be up to 900 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.

Default Re: WRT and NG - Bodybuilding guide for intermediates

You guys got it pretty good but seemed to have forgotten WHY things like cardio and squat are so important. Simple things like proper form for each exercise, and the smaller muscle groups like forearm and calf raises. Of course if you have then it's no biggy. I'm all amped on some percocets i got for my wisdom teeth and just kind of skimmed the two.

And remember, the best pre-workout is jacked ;) jk haha, unless you're planning on ripping someone's face off ... But i think PCP is safer...
    I see pretty girls everywhere I go. Every-everywhere I go, every-everywhere I gooo -KiD CuDi

R.I.P - Dad -30 Dec 2012 Greg (brother) -27 Dec 2012

Cardio is going to be more in detail the beginners thread, maybe im wrong thinking an intermediate must know not to skip those 30min of cardio every other day by now (or he should at least), calves raises are used but i didn't mention forearms, personally speaking is a bit like traps, when you do the right exercises you are giving them a good beating anyway, at least thats my own experience.

Regarding Jack3d lol y its a damn pre-workout, i only tried the old formula never tried the unbanned one or jack3d micro, which one were you talking about?

Edit- for some reason talking about that workout made me remember about water intake ^^ so i'll have to add that to beginners guide.

This is a nice set up but i have been using this from time to time

( Click to show/hide )
    Day 1: CHEST and BACK
    15-30 min. warm up cardio (run/bike)
    Stretch
    after each set go to next machine and do that then take 30 sec brake go back to beginning
    Bench-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    -add little weight 10 reps.
    -add little weight 8 reps.
    -add little weight 6 reps.
    Lat Pull Downs-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Butterfly Press
    -Med. Weight 12 reps.
    Standing Barbell Rows
    -Med. weight 12 reps.

5min. brake walk around (always keep moving) get water

Decline Bench-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Bend Over Dumbbell Rows-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Incline Bench-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Seated Rows Raises
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    -add little weight 10 reps

15-30 min Cool down cardio (run/bike)

Day 2: Arms and Shoulders
    Stretch
    after each set go to next machine and do that then take 30 sec brake go back to beginning

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Dumbbell Concentration Curls-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Side Lateral Raises-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Tricep Dumbbell Extensions
    -Med. weight 12 reps.

5min break walk around (keep moving) get water

Front Lateral Raises-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Preacher Curls-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Plate Raises With Rotation ( start at waist lift to eye level rotate around head return to eye level and back down to waist ... 1 rep)
    -Decent weight 12 reps.
    -10 reps.
    -8 reps.
    -6 reps.
    Dumbbell Kick Backs
    -Med. weight 12 reps.

15- 30 cool down cardio (run/bike)

Day 3: Abs and Legs
    Stretch

Barbell Squats
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Leg Raises
    -12 reps
    -10 reps
    -8 reps
    -6 reps
    Calf Raises
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Kick Outs (sitting on the edge of a bench lean back a little and bring knees to chest kick straight out and return back to chest
    -12 reps
    -10 reps
    -8 reps
    -6 reps
    Leg Extensions-
    -Med. weight 12 reps.

5 min break walk around ( keep moving) get water

Laying Leg Curls
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    Seated Hip twists (grab good weight sit on floor start on one side rotate to the other tap ground and continue motion)
    -30 taps
    -24 taps
    -18 taps
    -14 taps
    Leg Press
    -Med. weight 12 reps.
    6 inches lay on back raise feet 6 inches off ground and hold
    -hold as long as u can (count how long)
    -hold as long as u can (try to beat previous time)
    -hold as long as u can (push yourself!)
    -hold as long as u can (till you cant go no more)
    Dumbbell Lunges (down on right knee then left knee = 1 rep)
    -Med. weight 12 reps

15-30 min cardio cool down (run/bike)

Day 4: CARDIO!!!!!

Run 45 mins
    Sprints
    anything Plyometrics

Day 5: Rest
    .............maybe a light run

Although this is what i do for cardio

doodman im a little bit sleepy but you seem to be forgetting about rear delts and lower back? I'll check it again more carefully tomorrow ^^

Regarding cardio, well intermediate should be some1 who knows not to skip it, but since it's raising some worries ill add it tomorrow .

Quote Originally Posted by ng95680a View Post
    doodman im a little bit sleepy but you seem to be forgetting about rear delts and lower back? I'll check it again more carefully tomorrow ^^

Regarding cardio, well intermediate should be some1 who knows not to skip it, but since it's raising some worries ill add it tomorrow .
    Lol yea you are tired go to bed

Back and still don't see lower back or rear delts =P at least not direct targeting.

Alright just wanted to get that cleared up. You never know, someone making the jump from begginer to intermiediate may think that cardio is just to lose weight when starting out.

As for jacked, i remember taking the banned one before a cross country practice last year and felt like a god haha then this semester at college, i had a great lifting partner who wrecked my workouts with an extra 45+ weight (machines at that college gym) my friend gave me 1 serving in my water and spilled some on the table. He almost threw it away so i was like **** it, imma rail some lol long story short, my lifts that day were like 1.5 as heavy on every lift.

But hey, adding in the fact that you should flex your muscles deeply between sets may help someone. It helps the blood reach to every part I of the muscle that you may have missed and also makes you feel cool when you finally have that muscle to flex. Idk if you had that in beginners but good job on this all, keep it up!
    I see pretty girls everywhere I go. Every-everywhere I go, every-everywhere I gooo -KiD CuDi

R.I.P - Dad -30 Dec 2012 Greg (brother) -27 Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by james7344 View Post
    Alright just wanted to get that cleared up. You never know, someone making the jump from begginer to intermiediate may think that cardio is just to lose weight when starting out.

As for jacked, i remember taking the banned one before a cross country practice last year and felt like a god haha then this semester at college, i had a great lifting partner who wrecked my workouts with an extra 45+ weight (machines at that college gym) my friend gave me 1 serving in my water and spilled some on the table. He almost threw it away so i was like **** it, imma rail some lol long story short, my lifts that day were like 1.5 as heavy on every lift.

But hey, adding in the fact that you should flex your muscles deeply between sets may help someone. It helps the blood reach to every part I of the muscle that you may have missed and also makes you feel cool when you finally have that muscle to flex. Idk if you had that in beginners but good job on this all, keep it up!

Yes you are right about the cardio, i'll say it bluntly in the post that it is a MUST have, even if one (like me) hates it.

Ive tried that jack3d, c4, m1r (i think thats the name), but the only one i took in a regular basis (1 month on, 1 month off etc..) is C4, because it is a good but not that heavy on stimulants and since i get a rush even with a cup of coffee if works wonders, try the pink lemonade it's great.

I got that same problem with my left pec being bigger then my right pec. Actually, when i flex them (you know, the titty bounce, lmao) the left one flexes all the way but the right one doesn't, the lower part of the right chest doesn't seem to fully contract. I got reading into it a while back and it seems that i might have a lack of nerves in that part of the muscle (bad genetics). I have always used dumbbells and barbells equally, i also like dumbbells for incline, i can stretch those b*tches really good lol

Actually that's not entirely true, i've pretty much always used dumbbells for incline bench but for flat and decline i usually stick to barbell... maybe i should start doing dumbbells with the decline?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast