Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to softmod a wii ??

Default How to softmod a wii ??

So i have been trying to softmod a wii. but i am facing a lot of problems here

ive read tutorials watched vids but it hasnt helped me much.

ive also posted a thread over at wii iso.
    Code:
    http://www.wiiuiso.com/threads/384751-not-able-to-install-Bootmii?p=1082755#post1082755
    so i'll just copy paste what ive posted on there here for convenience sake.

"So i am trying to Softmod my wii and am using an 8 gb Micro SD card because i cant find a 1-2 gb Sd card.

I was able to install homebrew channel just fine but when i try to install bootmii as ios it fails any one knows why ?

and can someone explain me what bootmii, ios, priiloader, wiiflow and everything does ? i am having a hard time figuring everything here.

i updated my wii to system version 4.3."

Second post

"so i had installed Homebrew channel before this as i had told you before and before using Miixpress i deleted it from my wii through the settings and erased everything.

used miixpress "easy hacking" and transferred everything to mem card,using the letter bomb. but whenever i click it hackmii the letter bomb Hackmii doesnt start up and it comes back to the main menu of wii.

Edit. now the letterbomb is gone the msg for today shows the games that i have played what am i doing wrong here ?"

Any help on this would be highly appreciated guys

Default Re: How to softmod a wii ??

are you using modmii? if not, you should be: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-f...-topic.207126/

How is your progress so far ?

The easiest way to softmod is to follow a guide with step by step instructions
    If you use this ---> Here

I have used this and the older version a few times to softmod wii's, it has videos which make it ten times easier.
    Some of the tutorial is optional but it covers all the essentials plus the extras !!

If your having a problem with redoing it, try a fresh install such as formatting the wii and such ..

Let me know if you have any questions
    If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, hunt it down and kill it.

I would also recommend a fresh install and if you need good tutorials for game loaders I have 2 usbloadergx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKPEgwbCFa8 and dios mios (gamecube games) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXf_JlOoM4 although I would recommend nintendont Getting Started |

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan81 View Post
    are you using modmii? if not, you should be: https://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-f...-topic.207126/
    i am not i was using an 8 gb sdhc card and some people said that it didnt matter if it was 8 gb i had installed homebrew channel with it but now i have ordered a 2 gb one waiting for it to come back.

modmii video tuts would be very useful i am checking that link now

Quote Originally Posted by sergioreynel View Post
    I would also recommend a fresh install and if you need good tutorials for game loaders I have 2 usbloadergx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKPEgwbCFa8 and dios mios (gamecube games) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXf_JlOoM4 although I would recommend nintendont Getting Started |
    i just want to play games off my hard disk and i am complete noob at this so idk what things i would need or not i believe that usbloader is used to load games off a hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by i_got_you60 View Post
    i am not i was using an 8 gb sdhc card and some people said that it didnt matter if it was 8 gb i had installed homebrew channel with it but now i have ordered a 2 gb one waiting for it to come back.

modmii video tuts would be very useful i am checking that link now
    The size SDHC doesnt matter, It can be done with a 1-2 GB or a 16GB one and anything in-between, some 32GB's work aswell.

i just want to play games off my hard disk and i am complete noob at this so idk what things i would need or not i believe that usbloader is used to load games off a hard drive?
    There is a few different USB Loaders around
    -USB Loader GX
    -Configurable USB Loader

These are just two common examples.

USB Loader GX is simple to use and is just a straight install of the SDHC though the HomeBrew Channel, It should run straight away, the only problem you might get is, if your WII is on an older firmware then you will need a Wii Game manager and a USB HDD with a specific format (formatted though the manager)
    The HDD can be any size aslong as it can hold your games.
    If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, hunt it down and kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbinder31 View Post
    The size SDHC doesnt matter, It can be done with a 1-2 GB or a 16GB one and anything in-between, some 32GB's work aswell.

There is a few different USB Loaders around
    -USB Loader GX
    -Configurable USB Loader

These are just two common examples.

USB Loader GX is simple to use and is just a straight install of the SDHC though the HomeBrew Channel, It should run straight away, the only problem you might get is, if your WII is on an older firmware then you will need a Wii Game manager and a USB HDD with a specific format (formatted though the manager)
    The HDD can be any size aslong as it can hold your games.
    well i got the hard part done. i had to find and order a 2gb Card and the delivery took some time. finally hooked it up and everything is a go installed homebrew channel backed up wii nand thanks to the awesome guide by hellbinder31 thanks dude.

i am now using USB Loader gx, the only problem is i dont have a dedicated hard drive for wii games. how do i use my external jtag harddrive for playing wii games? its fat32 formatted already and my wii is ver 4.3 U and i already have mario party in it and it wont show up
    Last edited by i_got_you60; 11th March 2015 at 02:16 PM.

i am now using USB Loader gx, the only problem is i dont have a dedicated hard drive for wii games. how do i use my external jtag harddrive for playing wii games? its fat32 formatted already and my wii is ver 4.3 U and i already have mario party in it and it wont show up
    Ok now you need to decide on how your gonna store games, from what you said your on the WII version you can pretty much drop and play, but if your having problems it could be a couple of things.
    Wii's are stupid picky when it comes to the HDD, first thing to do is Google a wii game manager, the reason for this is it can reduce the size of games (unless you download scrubbed Iso from the off) I had mario kart from 4Gb to .7GB so big difference!
    A list from Gbatemp on compatible HDD --> Here
    Try Wii Backup Manager - Works like any other manager
    or WBFS Manager - (Changes the USB file type specifically for WII (file type would chance to WBFS, I.e from NTFS or FAT32 to WBFS)

Next you will need to see if your JTAG HDD is compatible, Ideally make a partition but if you have stuff on it, that would make it difficult to do lol
    or try a large USB, you can fit up to 15 games on a 32Gb USB dependent on size and the compatibility is much better.

The other thing to do is play with the settings in USB Loader, there's a number of options that can be changed that might make the USB work.

Last but not least swap USB ports, my old Wii would only recognize a USB is the top port, any other port and it didn't see it.

Let me know if this helps

Quote Originally Posted by hellbinder31 View Post
    Ok now you need to decide on how your gonna store games, from what you said your on the WII version you can pretty much drop and play, but if your having problems it could be a couple of things.
    Wii's are stupid picky when it comes to the HDD, first thing to do is Google a wii game manager, the reason for this is it can reduce the size of games (unless you download scrubbed Iso from the off) I had mario kart from 4Gb to .7GB so big difference!
    A list from Gbatemp on compatible HDD --> Here
    Try Wii Backup Manager - Works like any other manager
    or WBFS Manager - (Changes the USB file type specifically for WII (file type would chance to WBFS, I.e from NTFS or FAT32 to WBFS)

Next you will need to see if your JTAG HDD is compatible, Ideally make a partition but if you have stuff on it, that would make it difficult to do lol
    or try a large USB, you can fit up to 15 games on a 32Gb USB dependent on size and the compatibility is much better.

The other thing to do is play with the settings in USB Loader, there's a number of options that can be changed that might make the USB work.

Last but not least swap USB ports, my old Wii would only recognize a USB is the top port, any other port and it didn't see it.

Let me know if this helps
    Well my mario party is like 1.13 gigs of wbfs file i used a wiibackup manager to put the file into the hard drive ofcourse. its still showing mario

its a 500 gig hard drive so i could make a partition of about 150-200 gig the other is stuff for the xbox.

the settings is what bothered me in the usb loader. the first time i plugged the hard drive in it asked me to make a partition which i didnot and now i cant find how to do that select partition or make one. i think the usb is being detected just fine.i think its the top one as well. and if i switch the usb ports my wii just froze, gave me a stack dump error and then i tried downloading themes got a stack dump error again.

Also the post over at gbatemp is kinda confusing on how to play wiiware titles specifically step 5 for it i dont understand how or what you are supposed to do.

"Important: At 3:30 in Video (WiiMod) make sure in 'Wii Mod' to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad before you install DIOSMIOS. After you installed IOS249-d2x goto Main Menu of 'Wii Mod' and select 'Change IOS' and pick 249 . Look in Main Menu right corner it should stand 'Current IOS: 249 . You want to install DIOSMIOS to IOS 249 as you will be playing your gamecube games and wii games from 249."

since i wont be playing any gamecube games i skipped this step completely.

and i cant find nand emu path in my usbloader settings as it says in step 6.

Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
    A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
    B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path'
    Last edited by i_got_you60; 12th March 2015 at 01:43 AM.

Well my mario party is like 1.13 gigs of wbfs file i used a wiibackup manager to put the file into the hard drive ofcourse. its still showing mario

its a 500 gig hard drive so i could make a partition of about 150-200 gig the other is stuff for the xbox.

the settings is what bothered me in the usb loader. the first time i plugged the hard drive in it asked me to make a partition which i didnot and now i cant find how to do that select partition or make one. i think the usb is being detected just fine.i think its the top one as well. and if i switch the usb ports my wii just froze, gave me a stack dump error and then i tried downloading themes got a stack dump error again.

Also the post over at gbatemp is kinda confusing on how to play wiiware titles specifically step 5 for it i dont understand how or what you are supposed to do.

"Important: At 3:30 in Video (WiiMod) make sure in 'Wii Mod' to install IOS249[56]-d2x9b47.wad before you install DIOSMIOS. After you installed IOS249-d2x goto Main Menu of 'Wii Mod' and select 'Change IOS' and pick 249 . Look in Main Menu right corner it should stand 'Current IOS: 249 . You want to install DIOSMIOS to IOS 249 as you will be playing your gamecube games and wii games from 249."

since i wont be playing any gamecube games i skipped this step completely.

and i cant find nand emu path in my usbloader settings as it says in step 6.

Check emuNAND paths and create EmuNAND on SD-card)
    A. In USB Loader GX goto Settings - Custom Paths
    B. Change 'Nand Emu Path' and 'Nand Emu Channel Path'
    With regards to the HDD you don't need to partition it but it makes it easier and you can format that partition with the Wii back up manager.
    USB loader GX can be a bit funny at times, have you got the latest version of it ?

The other thing is the ISO's and CISO will need to be installed.

If you follow this YouTube vid it should walk you though it, the DL has all the stuff you need, I have virus checked it and its clear on here but its worth doing your end to be sure ----> Here
    It will also show you how to configure a forwarder, but these can be more hassle then worth.

With the .Wad files you can use a number of installers for this, and i found that you don't really need to change much in the Iso settings i.e iso249 for WAD's
    Try using this Wad Manager to deal with .WAD installs --- > Here

Did you try the vids on GBATEMP ? One or two of them are a bit more then they need to be, the install method is correct but they could simplify with more wide spread installers and user friendly installers but the information is pretty much the same as the other vid link i sent you but, the youtube one is nicer to follow and is easier to understand (no headaches )

Hope this helps !!
    Feel free to ask if I left anything out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast