Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Push-ups (?)

Default Diamond Push-ups (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0DnG1_S92I

I watched that video and followed what he said, I did 5 sets of 10 diamond push-ups successfully. The thing is, they hurt my wrist and sometimes my arm when I go down and back up. Almost like a twist-feel to it. I'm keeping my diamond on the middle of my chest, like he said. Is it normal to feel this or am I messing up my diamonds/push-ups?

Default Re: Diamond Push-ups (?)

Make sure you're concentrating on your triceps and your chest. Sometimes people just do the movement instead of actually focusing on the muscle, which in it self can cause some disruption if there isn't constant pressure on the specific muscles.

I can understand your wrist pain, make sure you're not flaring your elbows out and they are tight to your body. Also, if you can help it, try not to bend your wrists too much. That will defiantly cause you pain.

Also anatomically some people have problems with that motion, so you like me can be one of those cases, i can even do fist pushup but for reason diamonds hurt my rist, one of the doctors i work with said it happens to some people to be unable to get confortable in that position.

So i took care of it by buying 5 dollars push up stands.

- Only one image per signature, 2 are fine, but only if they are small.
    - Signatures can be up to 900 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.

not everyone has the "right" body to do some movements. Like certain push ups hurt my wrist and elbows, my arms are long. So i just stick to normal pushups. Try alternate exercises that target the same area of the muscle (i assume pec, and tricep).

Any reason you're doing push ups instead of using dumbells or bench press?

Those push ups are basically a variation of close grip push ups. Rotate your wrists outwards so your hands are parallel with each other and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyfresh View Post
    Make sure you're concentrating on your triceps and your chest. Sometimes people just do the movement instead of actually focusing on the muscle, which in it self can cause some disruption if there isn't constant pressure on the specific muscles.

I can understand your wrist pain, make sure you're not flaring your elbows out and they are tight to your body. Also, if you can help it, try not to bend your wrists too much. That will defiantly cause you pain.
    Ok, I'll try to put the focus on the triceps and chest. Elbows need to be tight, wrists can't be bent. Got it. Thanks freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by ng95680a View Post
    Also anatomically some people have problems with that motion, so you like me can be one of those cases, i can even do fist pushup but for reason diamonds hurt my rist, one of the doctors i work with said it happens to some people to be unable to get confortable in that position.

So i took care of it by buying 5 dollars push up stands.
    I haven't tried doing fist push-ups before. I do regular ones. I can do forty, maybe fifty or sixty if I really push myself, but that's it. I just started doing diamond push-ups and noticed the wrist-twist and pain. Maybe they're not for me? Or maybe my body will get used to the motions? Similar to when someone starts working out, they feel the pain in the beginning but later they can do the same workout and not feel anything. I think it has something to do with the muscle tearing itself up, then regenerating or something like that. I suppose only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by manwinder View Post
    not everyone has the "right" body to do some movements. Like certain push ups hurt my wrist and elbows, my arms are long. So i just stick to normal pushups. Try alternate exercises that target the same area of the muscle (i assume pec, and tricep).
    Yeah, similar to what I said above. Normal push-ups seem to do the job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WRT View Post
    Any reason you're doing push ups instead of using dumbells or bench press?

Those push ups are basically a variation of close grip push ups. Rotate your wrists outwards so your hands are parallel with each other and see if that helps.
    It depends. I remember reading somewhere that when you do a push-up, you're lifting up your body weight, maybe more since you're facing down and gravity pulls you down too. I'm not sure if I'd be able to lift two 57.5 pound dumbells on each hand. Unless I was mislead by that source, I'd probably snap my collarbone and be a broccoli the rest of my life.

Also, aren't push-ups for triceps, chest and shoulders? Dumbells can do those but with the addition of biceps. I'm not sure if push-ups work biceps, I haven't heard anything about that yet. If you now any good exercises for dumbells that are just as effective as push-ups, then let me know. I only have two 15 pound dumbells though lol. I should be in the 20's but I don't have the cash to buy new dumbells, I'm sticking with 15 for a while. I'll try that suggestion.

Thanks peeps.

I was talking about fist pushups cause many cant do it because of knuckle pain, was just making a point, dont go out and make them, no point imo. If you really want to do diamond push-ups use a cheap 5 stand.

Also are you aiming for with pushups? I mean whats your goal with that exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by ng95680a View Post
    Also are you aiming for with pushups? I mean whats your goal with that exercise?
    I plan on joining the USCG after I'm done with my studies in about a year. Their requirement is twenty-nine push-ups, if I can remember correctly. I can do forty as a minimum. I suppose it also serves as a self-esteem booster, etc..., etc..., etc.... Training for bootcamp is my main goal, the rest is a bonus.

Ok if thats your goal, but if u have a couple of dumbells u could do a little more.

I do. I only have two 15 pound dumbells. What can you suggest me? Dumbell push-ups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-eGCkjMtWE

Forgot to mention, they're hexagon-shaped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast