Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youtube soon to launch pay channels

Default Youtube soon to launch pay channels

LOS ANGELES (AP) YouTube is set to announce within a few weeks a series of channels that will require payment, a person familiar with the matter said Monday.
    The content on the new pay channels will be in addition to the millions of videos viewers watch for free on YouTube. It's not clear whether the paid videos will come with advertising.
    The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
    The Financial Times reported earlier that viewers would be charged as little as $1.99 a month for subscriptions.
    In a statement, YouTube said it is looking into creating a "subscription platform" that provides its partners with a way to generate revenue beyond video rentals and placing ads in and around content. It said, however, that it had "nothing to announce at this time."
    Executives hinted at the coming pay channels at a preview event in March ahead of a meeting in New York with advertisers.
    Such a model could help video producers make money from niche audiences. That's different from how YouTube works now, where the most popular videos, like PSY's "Gangnam Style" music video, make the most money from advertising.
    One example given by executives was of video lessons by a computer science teacher.
    "For people who create great value but for only a narrow interest group, I think that the potential for pay channels unlocks opportunities for creating revenue streams," said Lucas Watson, YouTube's vice president of sales and marketing, at the time.
    Introducing pay channels would also accustom fans of YouTube to paying for content, something the site is not known for, although it has sold and rented movies and TV shows from major studios since late 2008.
    "It's a whole new skill set to develop: to convince people to actually take out their credit card, even for one cent," said Robert Kyncl, YouTube's vice president and global head of content partnerships, told reporters at the March event.
    Google Inc. bought YouTube for $1.76 billion in 2006 when the video site had an estimated 50 million users worldwide. Today, the site boasts more than 1 billion visitors a month.

source: Yahoo

if this is considered a rumor please move to appropriate section

my thoughts: as long as the videos I watch stay free, I'll be on Youtube
    Alot of people who pirate things aren't doing it to be cheap. They're doing it for the fact that, in a way, it's a high. They're beating the system. Essentially, they do it cause they can. Almost like a god complex. It also seems that most people that cry about how it's unfair aren't really morally against it, they're just jealous they can't do it. They don't care if the game developers make an extra million $ or not, they're pissed cause other people have the game and they don't.

Default Re: Youtube soon to launch pay channels

I don't like this pay for channels ?

Quote Originally Posted by xxrob511 View Post
    I don't like this pay for channels ?
    huh? Potato!

Maybe more tv show's can get started like this. I don't see any harm in it.. i sure sh*t won't be paying to watch some doofus talk about the news though.

Probably won't be any channels that I watch.

I will never pay to watch a YouTube video... even if it's 2 bucks a month or w/e the f*ck they are charging. They can kiss my ***.
    "People should talk to others everyday, even if it's just small talk. Otherwise their hearts will grow dark and serious. Talking to others builds bonds and makes you feel grateful that you're alive. That's the kind of creatures we humans are." - Jiraiya Sensei

Same over here, won't be paying to watch.

I think it'll face the same problems as news media. They've waited too long to do this. It needed to happen before we expected it to be free.

Say a channel like Machinima goes behind a subscription, it's content is unlikely to really be that different. How many people are going to start paying now, after it's been free for however many years? Yes, that money will help YouTube fund more channels for more content, but they'll have to convince people that it's worth paying for the stuff that's currently free for that to work.

"The B*stards. I already pay through being forced to watch those lovely ads they shove everywhere D:" you say? But that's exactly it -- you don't. You watch way less ads on YouTube than you do on TV, and they earn way less. We accepted about 8 minutes of ads every 30 minutes on TV (Aus anyway), but imagine if you had to watch 8 minutes of ads for every 22 minutes of videos you watched on YouTube - that'd never fly!

This is "supply and demand": those willing to pay will pay. Those not willing to pay will look elsewhere. That's what a free market is: the freedom to choose whether you wish to pay or not

hiphoppopopo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by josh8697 View Post
    huh? Potato!

Maybe more tv show's can get started like this. I don't see any harm in it.. i sure sh*t won't be paying to watch some doofus talk about the news though.
    LOL Tell me about it Youtube is good for certain things like sometimes you can find full episodes of series for example I have just finished watching season 5 of locked up abroad on the ps3 using the Youtube app which makes it HD and crystal clear if you need to pay a little sub a year say a few quid to do that then thats no biggie really but in hell am I paying for a retard who thinks his talking videos are the bees knees with that stupid and annoying thing they all seem to do these days where they stop recording for a second then start again its hard to explain what they do but its annoying.

so who's going to start the 'free youtube content' thread lolz

or

free youtube premium codes hahaa

I'll bet all major company's jump on the band wagon and

if someone uploads random copyrighted content I'll bet its forced to premium only so the producers don't loose out revenue :-/

its the beginning of the end(i reckon) of so many free tunes from youtube....had to happen since its currently full of free copyrighted content

I for 1 have been expecting this since so many people use it like a torrent site,

but if the site shutdown today i really wouldn't miss it so bring it on Google see if i care!

★☆★XBOX360 ISO's★☆★
    ( Click to show/hide )
    http://www.xbox360iso.com/showthread.php?t=593917

R.I.P OLD SERVER.....HELLO SMOOOOOOOTHHHHNESSSSS...YEY

YouTube already sucks balls because of its copyright problems. They delete a lot of videos after a short while, they turn off the audio when you use the wrong music, and a lot of content is simply off-limits no matter what you do. They will certainly start using this as an excuse to try and force people to switch to this new bull**** they are thinking now.

Money and premium accounts always ruin the party for everyone. YouTube has been getting worse and worse by the day (just the other day "a bug" was testing the no-dislike approach), it's only a matter of time before they get greedy enough to send it to complete and utter s**t knowing that the userbase is too big to lose money even if they start with absurd restrictions.

It's always like this in every big internet site's history. Why can nobody just be happy with what they have, God ****ing damn the humans.

Hope this stays as a rumor because, because i don't see myself paying to watch a youtube channel. Some youtubers tried to sell a movie called prank tour a few months ago, they ended up uploading it to youtube a week after its release, and after watching the first 10 i knew why they had to release it for free.

On the worst case scenario all the youtubers i watch are not partnered with the mainstream networks and would probably still upload their content for free.
    ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast