Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The build YO self a computer thread. *Noob friendly*

Default The build YO self a computer thread. *Noob friendly*

***Please before you post a new computer build on the forums look here and request part information, The price you want to spend, Country your located at and where you would like to buy parts. Also please specify what you plan on using the computer for, Gaming, programming, Multimedia, Server, or just basic internet Usage.***

We have an influx of threads and really no general guidelines or go to spot for relative information. I thought I would slap some ideas together while at work to save future threads.

A complete build consists of the following;
    Motherboard
    CPU (Central processing unit)
    Ram
    Gpu (Graphics Processing unit)
    Psu (Power supply unit) or PS
    HDD (Hard disk drive) or HD
    Optical media drives
    Casing
    Adequate cooling

Let's begin.

The motherboard. What is it? What does it do and why do I need it? Well in simplicity the motherboard is the main connecting piece that bridges all your components together. Think of it as the frame of a car. It has many different names IE: MOTHERBOARD, PLANAR, LOGICAL BOARD. I digress. The keys to a good rig rely heavily into your motherboard. They come in a different array of manufacturers and (socket types). What's a socket type you ask? Each board is listed by socket type. A socket type is the specific type of microprocessor that board is designed to house (Intel, Amd). Keep in mind if you board is designed to house an Intel processor it does not necessarily mean that it can accommodate the speed of a processor not designed for the specific board. So reading and cross checking your parts is Key here.

Microprocessors:

What Is it and what does it do?
    The microprocessor or "CPU" is the heart and soul of your day to day operations within the computer. It is designed to preform arithmetical and logical functions the user tells it to do. In simplest terms is to execute instructions given to it by said program or said user. (Fetch, decode, execute and write back). I won't go into too much detail because I'm sure you don't want a history in computer programming and binary code. The two main contenders in the fight for your motherboard slots are INTEL and AMD. For years Amd controlled the game with an iron fist ruling but in recent years they have been overcame by Intel.

Ram

Ram or (Random access memory) is essentially a form of storage. It is used to allow data to be accessible rapidly. Essentially the more ram you have (to an extent) the faster tour programs will open and run, the more Windows and multitasking you can do as well as faster performance you will achieve in you games. Usually ram is the cheapest significant upgrade you can make other then Gpu and Cpu. Which are by no means cheap (usually).

GPU

Your graphics card is where you need to spend your money if your looking into gaming. It will usually determine the outcome of your experience. Cheap out and feel the repercussions, spend smart and you'll be enjoying for years to come "hopefully". In other terms it rapidly manipulates and alters building of images in a frame buffer intended for output displays.

Sli - Crossfire? HALP PLS NAO.

To squeeze more years out of your rig you can simply place another card in your machine to double your outcome. Sli is when two of the same make and model gpus are in your machine and bridged together to work as one to ease the load of the other and boost higher frame rates. CROSSFIRE is the same in terms of definition but is used for Radeon cards instead. Make sure your motherboard supports Sli or crossfire before spending money on a second card.

Psu HALP!

The Psu or power supply is the muscle to a good rig and your money in my opinion. In combination powers your e tire setup and if you buy a cheap one will indefinitely wear your parts a lot quicker and cost you cost you higher power bills in the long run. They come in multiple different ratings from lowest to best. Not rated (avoid these) 80 plus bronze, 80 plus silver, 80 plus gold, 80 plus platinum. As a rule of thumb usually avoid knock offs such as 85plus. Reputable brands for such are "HEC, Corsair, OCZ"

HDD

Hard drives have become a big war in the past few years. They come in multiple different shapes, sizes, brands and types. The Hard drive is where all your data is stored and where it is accessed, read (see CPU). They come in two main types Regular Internals (5400, 7200 Rpm) and SSD (Solid state drives) which verbally access and load memory in close to half the time that standard drives do due to the fact that they have no moving parts inside as the older hard drives do. It usually comes down to the price your wing to spend. Me personally I'm happy with the output of my 7200Rpm drives. A 1 tera bite or 1000gb standard drive will cost around 80-100$ Usd while a 128gb SSD will cost you about the same. So it's preference really.

Optical drives.

CD, Dvd, and Bluray drives are simple. Just match up the specific media with the corresponding drive. You can't run a blu ray in a dvd drive or vice versa as you can't run a ps3 game in an xbox 360. Pick accordingly to your needs.

Casing/housing.

One of the most important things to consider when you get a new computer is the casing. There are a few things you need to figure out is
    A) is it practical, and will all my parts fit inside.
    B) does it look visually stimulating to me
    C) does it have good air flow to keep my parts running cool. A cold part is a happy part!

Once answered then begin your search for the perfect housing. There's thousands of cases to match each taste and style. The majority of them come set to house your motherboard inside. Unless it's a 80s motherboard cause it might not fit.

Cooling.

The biggest problems come from hot parts and as you embark from your quest from n00b to enthusiastism your quest for the perfect temps much be a righteous one! Your offered many different roads such as AIR and Custom water cooling loops. Now case depending it is usually tell you what type of cooling you are able to do where as water cooling usually takes more space but grants lower temps. A well designed airflow case can grant almost as close but usually is a lot louder then water 9/10.

What is overclocking and why do I need it?

Need it? Not necessarily but you might want to look into it. Overclocking is the process used to speed up the rate of your processor, ram or graphics card. Usually it is down through your bios or with a program such as CPUZ. With overclocking comes great responsibility. You need to check the regulations of your Cpu and first make sure your Cpu is unlocked and what will make it burn out. A good rule of thumb is to stay around 1.25 volts or lower. When overclocking make sure to run your pc through PRIME95 (GOOGLE IT) for at least 12-24 hours to check the stability. As far as cooling goes you usually won't overclocking on a stock cooler that game with your Cpu. Check Google and YouTube for recommended heat sink for your desired processor your overclocking.

Intel i7 3770k VS AMD 8350
    ( Click to show/hide )

INTEL i5 3570k VS AMD 8350 OVERCLOCK
    ( Click to show/hide )

AMD 7970 VS Nvidia GTX 680
    ( Click to show/hide )

Overclocking Intel 3rd Gen Processors
    ( Click to show/hide )

How to apply Thermal Paste
    ( Click to show/hide )

$400 Build
    ( Click to show/hide )

$500 Build
    ( Click to show/hide )

Overclocking GPU
    ( Click to show/hide )

Sandy Bridge Overclocking
    ( Click to show/hide )

Overclocking AMD fx 8350
    ( Click to show/hide )

How to Build a PC
    ( Click to show/hide )

Watercooling your PC
    ( Click to show/hide )

SSD vs MECH hard Drives
    ( Click to show/hide )

400$ Build

$300-400 Build

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $367.97
    Web Browsing Build $300 total

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Biostar H77MU3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($86.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $313.90

HIGH END BUILDS. (AMD)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($235.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($454.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($454.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2006.84
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    CPU: AMD FX 8350 4GHz - 4.2GHz Turbo $219.99 @Newegg.com
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional $159.99 @Newegg.com
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2*4GB) 1866MHz $49.99 @Newegg.com
    Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB X2 $813.94 @Newegg.com
    Solid State Drive: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB Sata III $164.99 @Newegg.com
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM $149.99 @Newegg.com
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Orange/Black $109.98 @Newegg.com
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX850M - 850W 80 PLUS Bronze $139.99 @Newegg.com
    Cooling: Corsair Hydro H80 $95.91 @Newegg.com
    Blu-Ray burner: LG Black BD-RW $74.98 @Newegg.com

Total Price: $1979.75
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    HIGH END BUILDS (INTEL)

AMD HOME OFFICE BUILD

[/QUOTE]Processor AMD A10-5800K 3.8 GHz Trinity APU $130 Cooling system Cooler Master Hyper TX3 $27 Motherboard ASRock FM2A55M-DGS A55 Motherboard $55 RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (2 x 4 GB) $56 Hard Drive and SSD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD $110 Power Supply Corsair Builder Series CX430 80 PLUS Bronze $50 Case Antec Three Hundred Steel ATX Mid-Tower $70 DVD Burner Samsung SH-224BB 24x DVD Burner $16
    TOTAL : $514[/QUOTE]

INTEL HOME OFFICE BUILD

HIGH END WORKSTATION

High end Workstation

HOME NAS SERVER

BUDGET AMD BASED GAMING MACHINE

BUDGET INTEL BASED GAMING BUILD

LAN PARTY PC

HIGH END AMD
    HIGH END INTEL

SOURCES & CRED LISTED BELOW
    ( Click to show/hide )
    Youtube, TEKSYNDICATE, TOMSHARDWARE, LINUSTECHTIPS, NCIX, NEWEGG, MOTHERBORDS.ORG
    Amd Ryzen 1800x // 1080 TI FTW // 64GB Corsair dominator platinum ddr 4 3200 // Asus ROG crosshair vi // 3TB m.2 samsung //
    Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Default Re: The build YO self a computer thread. *Noob friendly*

Moments like this text to speech is a life saver.
    PI 100 or less PI Avg 5 or less
    PIF 4 or less PIF Avg 0.20 or less

*removed* was here.

Understanding some people is like trying to pick a sphere up at the pointy end.

iTz EPiC is offline Senior Member XBOXISO Legend

Nice to see you put forth the effort to make a thread. If you need any help or suggestions shoot me a PM as I am an unemployed college student and have tons of time on my hands haha. Hopefully this thread gets to be a sticky someday.

Sure, look forward to it epic.
    Amd Ryzen 1800x // 1080 TI FTW // 64GB Corsair dominator platinum ddr 4 3200 // Asus ROG crosshair vi // 3TB m.2 samsung //
    Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Great idea, It would be good if we could create a list of price points e.g 400 600 800+ and perhaps an AMD vs Intel reccommended build for each.

Some YouTube channels I would recommend are:
    LinusTechTips
    TechQuickie (also from Linus tech tips)

The first is for people who know computers but are always interested in keeping up to date
    The second explains things quickly for people who aren't quite up to speed.

Yeah, we should make a stick with youtube links. a lot easier to look at and is more human contact than text on a wall or atleast a tut with youtube links
    Disabling sigs made this site so much faster and cleaner

iTz EPiC is offline Senior Member XBOXISO Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSquirrel View Post
    Great idea, It would be good if we could create a list of price points e.g 400 600 800+ and perhaps an AMD vs Intel reccommended build for each.

LinusTechTips

The first is for people who know computers but are always interested in keeping up to date
    TechQuickie would be better suited for most people on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSquirrel View Post

LinusTechTips

I always watch his vids... he does great comparisons..

Another thing to add to the OP would be what to include in a the first post of their thread, e.g If you already have a PC you want to upgrade or have parts you can use, include the following information in the first post of your thread and we can advise you on whether it's worth keeping to upgrade or for parts, or why you should build a new PC from scratch:
    • Machine name (where applicable, e.g Dell Studio XPS 8100 and so on)
    • Motherboard
    • CPU
    • Graphics card
    • Power supply wattage
    • Hard drive(s)
    • Amount and spec of RAM (e.g 8GB DDR3 RAM)
    • Case including size (MATX, ATX, EATX and so on)

There are a lot of threads where people want to for example get a new GPU to play games but it's pointless because the rest of their system bottlenecks it, and they don't give this information unless asked!

Anyway, great idea so +rep for the thread - should be stickied!

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti1073 View Post
    Moments like this text to speech is a life saver.
    agree with this, I couldn't read it all
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    i5 3570k @ 4.5 max temps 60c
    Powercolor 7950 @ 40% lineload
    Vengeance 8gb RAM

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast