Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Downloading from Newsgroups - The safe and cheap alternative to torrents and DD!

Default Downloading from Newsgroups - The safe and cheap alternative to torrents and DD!

DOWNLOADING FROM NEWSGROUPS!
    The safe and cheap alternative to torrents and Direct Downloading!

By: Strey101

First let's start out with a basic introduction into Newsgroups.

What are Usenet Newsgroups?
    A Usenet newsgroup is a repository usually within the Usenet system, for messages posted from many users in different locations. The term may be confusing to some, because it is usually a discussion group. Newsgroups are technically distinct from, but functionally similar to, discussion forums on the World Wide Web. Newsreader software is used to read newsgroups.
    Newsgroups are much like the public message boards on old bulletin board systems. For those readers not familiar with this concept, envision an electronic version of the cork board in the entrance of your local grocery store.

How do you access a Newsgroup?
    In order to access a Newsgroup much like a direct download service it requires service which doesn't cost much.
    My recommendations are I have used all 3 services:
    Astrawebs (my personal favorite cheap and can generally find anything Do not listen to most DMCA rules): here
    XS-Usenet (a free option though they did just recently open and only offer very limited options that you will most likely get very slow speeds, no personal experience): here
    NewsDemon (cheap but stuff gets deleted often): here
    Giganews (expensive and are strict about DMCA): here
    Super News (I have never personally used this service but have heard good reviews about it pretty decently priced unsure about DMCA): here

In the end it is all up to you and what you feel is the best option for your budget. NOTE: Most require monthly subscriptions, I look at it like instead of netflix I pay for this. I'm sure there are other options out there but these are the industry leaders and best around!

How secure are Newsgroups?
    Newsgroups is THE most secure file sharing out there today. If you purchase a subscription that uses SSL Encryption it theoretically cannot be hacked.

What are the some benefits to Newsgroups?
    1.Secure connections.
    2.No IP tracking/logging
    3.Nothing like p2p or torrents
    4.No download speed limits or download GB limits (depending on subscription)
    5.Allowed up to 20 Simultaneous connections

Downloading and Setting Up!

So now that you know a little about Newsgroups and why you should use them lets set you up!

First things you need to download a few programs here's what all you need:

First you will need a News Reader here are the ones I recommend because they are free and easy to set up.

GrabIt (what I use personally easy to setup right when you install): Download Here

SabNZB (another fairly easy to use software can even set stuff to download from your iPhone): Download Here

Those are the top ones GrabIt is easiest to use in my opinion but SabNZB has more features.

The next software you are going to need is WinRAR and QuickPAR both of these software's are for after you have downloaded your games or movies or whatever you are downloading.

WinRAR: Download Here

Why you need it?
    After downloading files they come in RAR basically just so that the games and articles are compressed.

QuickPAR: Download Here

Why you need it?
    Sometimes when downloading articles some of the files are not complete or do not work instead of asking for a member to re-upload a article you just run QuickPAR on the files and it should be good to go!

Now that you have everything installed lets get it all set-up!

Installing and setting up GrabIt:
    ( Click to show/hide )
    So now you have your news provider and have chosen GrabIt as your choice of News Reader! Lets Set it up!!

First things first we will open the executable:

Next it will ask you a few standard questions then install. After its installed click Run GrabIt.

The nice thing about GrabIt is it walks you through each step. The first step is to type in your news providers server name. For me my current provider is Astrawebs so I'll go ahead and type my info in.

All the server info for different regions and servers are here:
    ( Click to show/hide )

NEWSDEMON:
    news.newsdemon.com port(s): 119, 23, 25 and 80
    europe.newsdemon.com port(s): 119, 443 and 8080
    us-secure.newsdemon.com * (THIS IS 256-BIT ENCRYPTED) port(s): 563, 80 and 81
    europe-ssl.newsdemon.com * (THIS IS 256-BIT ENCRYPTED) port(s): 563, 80 and 81

GIGANEWS:
    news.giganews.com (North America)
    news-europe.giganews.com (Europe)

ASTRAWEB
    General Server: news.astraweb.com
    European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com
    US Server: us.news.astraweb.com
    Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080

SUPERNEWS
    Server Name: news.supernews.com or
    news.eu.supernews.com

XS-USENET
    Address (free users) : free.xsusenet.com
    Address (premium users) : reader.xsusenet.com
    Regular Port: 119 non-secure
    SSL Port: 443 secured
    Connections: 2 (Free Accounts) or 12 (Premium Accounts)

Next GrabIt will ask us to type in our user info. Just type in the info as you registered with on your services.

After logging in you should get a successful message as shown below!

After hitting finish we can go into the software and set up the settings!
    Here's how I usually set up my settings.
    You can set where you want extracted files to go as seen here:

The you will want to right click on your server name on the left and select server properties. From here we will setup how you download. This is the default server settings.

As you can see the default has been set at 10 connections that is good for mediocre connections however I have a really fast connection here so I want to increase the amount I want to download at to 20 connections. The maximum amount that most servers allow. Now rather than 10 parts downloading at a time I will download 20. Thus the download will finish faster.

Now you should be ready to download go down to the download section now to learn how to import .NZB files.

Installing and Setting Up SabNZB:

( Click to show/hide )

Now you have all your software downloaded and registered for your account from one of the providers. You now only need to install your newsreader to be on your way to getting the best downloads there are!

First things first lets open the SabNZB executable and get started.

After clicking it the executable will open and ask you the areas you want to install it and to accept the terms of use and all that hoopla then you will be done installing it now lets open it an we will go from here setting the application up.

SabNZB's quick start is run through a browser in my case my default browser is Firefox so that is what its running thru. First thing it asks is what language you want. Choose this then we will proceed.

The first step is your Server details. I personally use astrawebs so this is what I will enter in. You will also want to test your settings to ensure it is all setup properly.

All the server info for different regions and servers are here:
    ( Click to show/hide )

NEWSDEMON:
    news.newsdemon.com port(s): 119, 23, 25 and 80
    europe.newsdemon.com port(s): 119, 443 and 8080
    us-secure.newsdemon.com * (THIS IS 256-BIT ENCRYPTED) port(s): 563, 80 and 81
    europe-ssl.newsdemon.com * (THIS IS 256-BIT ENCRYPTED) port(s): 563, 80 and 81

GIGANEWS:
    news.giganews.com (North America)
    news-europe.giganews.com (Europe)

ASTRAWEB
    General Server: news.astraweb.com
    European Server: eu.news.astraweb.com
    US Server: us.news.astraweb.com
    Ports: 119, 23, 1818 or 8080

SUPERNEWS
    Server Name: news.supernews.com or
    news.eu.supernews.com

XS-USENET
    Address (free users) : free.xsusenet.com
    Address (premium users) : reader.xsusenet.com
    Regular Port: 119 non-secure
    SSL Port: 443 secured
    Connections: 2 (Free Accounts) or 12 (Premium Accounts)

The most that you want to set your connections to is 20. This will ensure that you get a great download speed while still being able to function your PC, also on most this is the max setting.

The next step in SABnzb is setting up how you access your account you can enable it to let you access from any PC in the house as well as letting you have a password and username so you can get access to download stuff. It also gives you the option to open the browser automatically for finding files to download. Here's the recommended settings that I use:

The next step doesnt really matter because you all will be downloading from me or from Xbox360 ISO but you have the option to input your account information for indexing sites but you dont need this as they both cost money.

Now that you have everything set-up the program will open login to your account!

Now that we have it all set-up hit config and we will ensure that all the settings are what we want.

Here I have set-up where I want my completed downloads to be stored on my External Hard Drive F:\:

Some other recommendations are set the refresh rate to 1 second so you know it works when you start your download. Also set SabNZB as your default program for NZB files, This will make when you double click a NZB it will automatically start on its own.

Now you are all setup and ready to download your first NZB!

How to Download with GrabIt:

( Click to show/hide )
    First off you will need a .NZB of the Game that you want you can find a complete index: here a .NZB is a container file that allows you to read the article in your News Reader such as GrabIt and download the files. In this case I am going to download Brave.

I go to rapidshare and download the file:

Once I have the .NZB saved to my PC I want to open it in GrabIt select NZB Import from the top menu:

From here you can select the server you want to download from and then add files to import. You can select multiple .NZB files. Let's import Brave now!:

Now that we have Brave imported lets go ahead and grab the file! Select Grab and the file will begin being imported and it should begin being downloaded. As you can see:

Now you should just let it download and sooner or later the game will be done. A nice thing about GrabIt is you dont even need to extract or repair your files, the software does it all for you!

How to Download with SabNZB:

( Click to show/hide )

First off you will need a .NZB of the Game that you want you can find a complete index: here a .NZB is a container file that allows you to read the article in your News Reader such as SabNZB and download the files. In this case I am going to download Brave.

I go to rapidshare and download the file:

Once I have the .NZB saved to my PC I want to open it in SabNZB select add NZB from the top menu here:

Next we want to select the file usually stored in the Download folder. Here I have selected the Brave .NZB File and opened it.

Now that we have uploaded the file SabNZB has already begun downloading it! As you can see here!

Now you should just let it download and sooner or later the game will be done! You will need to choose which actions you want SabNZB to perform on the side but thats simple to figure out!

That's Everything that you need to know remember to leave +rep and if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask away below!!!

Default Re: Downloading from Newsgroups - The safe and cheap alternative to torrents and DD!

So informative and noob friendly (thank god) Thanks for teaching me all of this btw!

Default Re: Downloading from Newsgroups - The safe and cheap alternative to torrents and DD!

great tutorial. My isp (orange) does not have newsgroups. Do you know of any good subscription services for newsgroups?

thanks for this, going to be looking into these

Quote Originally Posted by carlyounguk View Post
    great tutorial. My isp (orange) does not have newsgroups. Do you know of any good subscription services for newsgroups?
    I recommend astraweb in the tutorial its in the first section they are really good prices. Any of those are good tho.

My recommendations are I have used all 3 services:
    Astrawebs (my personal favorite cheap and can generally find anything Do not listen to most DMCA rules): here
    XS-Usenet (a free option though they did just recently open and only offer very limited options that you will most likely get very slow speeds, no personal experience): here
    NewsDemon (cheap but stuff gets deleted often): here
    Giganews (expensive and are strict about DMCA): here
    Super News (I have never personally used this service but have heard good reviews about it pretty decently priced unsure about DMCA): here

Hancock Guest

Astrawebs all the way...You wont make mistake by choosing them.

I use sunnyusenet, its in a different language but i use google chrome to translate it. The retention is 900 days but the service works good.

I have astraweb and paying $7/mo with the 10mbps plan.
    Than =/ Then
    There =/ Their =/ They're
    Brought = Bring; Bought = Buy

Know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by rick2201 View Post
    I use sunnyusenet, its in a different language but i use google chrome to translate it. The retention is 900 days but the service works good.
    I really recommend astrawebs its much better for just a little bit more.

Hey strey. I signed up for astrawebs but where exactly can I find proper nzbs as the links are broken. Im downloading what seems to be GOW3 so hopefully i did it right
    I <3 My Guns!

http://xbox360iso.com/showthread.php?t=180420

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast