Thread: Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X, w/ Pics)

Default Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X, w/ Pics)

I just tried this and it worked first try.

1) First off, get all the hardware setup. This is probably the easiest part. Take the cable that comes with your Xbox (or any network cable that fits) and connect it to the back of your Xbox and your Mac. Turn on the Mac and the Xbox (not necessarily simultaneously; probably turn on your Mac first). When your Xbox is on, head to the Xbox dashboard.

2) On your Mac, head over to the System Preferences and click on “Network.” From the “Show” menu, select “Built-in Ethernet” and set “Configure IPv4? to “Off.” Now head back to System Preferences (click “Show All”) and then go to “Sharing.” Click on the “Internet” button and check the box next to “Built-in Ethernet.” Make sure “Share your connection from: Airport” is selected as well.

3) Open Terminal (if you can’t find it, just type “Terminal” in Spotlight) and type in the following exactly: ifconfig en0. Hit enter, and it should return something like inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255. If the first IP is something other than 192.168.2.1 make note of it, and don’t close Terminal.

4) Now, turn around and grab your Xbox controller. Go to the Network settings, and set the IP Configuration to Manual, the IP to 192.168.2.2, the Mask to 255.255.255.0, and the router/gateway to 192.168.2.1 (the IP that I told you to make note of earlier — if yours is different, input that IP instead).

5) Get back on your Mac, go to Terminal, and type in dig and hit enter. There will be a lot of data, but you need to pay attention to only one line. Near the end of the output, a line will begin with SERVER. That’s the line you need to look at. Find the IP address in that line, and highlight it.

6) Go to the Xbox and go to DNS Configuration. Set it to Manual, and input the IP that you just found in Terminal as the primary DNS server. Set your PPPoE settings to Off and your Advanced to Automatic.

From the above picture, mine was '8.8.8.8'

7) Test your Xbox Live connection. Provided you followed all the steps properly, you should have a connection.
    Like I said, works great.

Default Re: Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X)

Nice. I will find try this one day.

Default Re: Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X)

Works good.

I suppose you could have XBL anywhere if you have a USB dongle that provides internet anywhere or whatever right?

Could be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza85 View Post
    Cant see why not
    Sweet.

tmac13013 Guest

Default Re: Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X, w/ Pics)

This is so much better than the way I used to do it. Thanks a lot man!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHot View Post
    Works good.

I suppose you could have XBL anywhere if you have a USB dongle that provides internet anywhere or whatever right?

Could be cool.
    I just hook up to xbl using my Jailbroken iPhone's miwi app... I can do it anywhere(except the middle of nowhere)

Quote Originally Posted by tmac13013 View Post
    This is so much better than the way I used to do it. Thanks a lot man!
    Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by frankenstuff View Post
    I just hook up to xbl using my Jailbroken iPhone's miwi app... I can do it anywhere(except the middle of nowhere)
    I know of MiWi but haven't a need for it (yet). Could be useful for emergency gaming haha.

Default Re: Xbox Live Connection Through Your Laptops Wireless (Tut, All Mac OS X, w/ Pics)

Actually there is a faster way to do this, well sorta. Simple do the beginning where you activate the internet sharing, and a dynamic IP is better IMO, then to find the best DNS server use Namebench. All you do is download, open the file, run the app and it will tell you what the best DNS server to use and how much percent it is faster then you current one. Here is the link: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/downloads/list

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but what is this good for? May I use it for banned XboX?

thank you