Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slim Drive *Lite-On 0225 WB* Read/Write With VIA6421 & USB 2 SATA Adapter

Default Slim Drive *Lite-On 0225 WB* Read/Write With VIA6421 & USB 2 SATA Adapter

Lite-On 0225-Windbond, Firmware Dump/Flash Solution With VIA6421 And USB to SATA Adapter. No X360USB PRO Needed.

OK I made this tutorial bacause I have a VIA6421 PCI controller and I tried everything to read my 0225 Windbond drive chip and nothing worked till I tried a few things I saw on a few You Tube videos.

OK I will not go into detail on how to dismantle the 360's this is something you should know prior to trying this tutorial.

Also I suggest you have prior experience in flashing 360 drive's as it will help.

Make sure to read the tutorial over a couple of time to get familar with it. The last thing you want to do is miss or skip a step.

And again people this is for the slim 0225 Windbond drive with a VIA6421 PCI controller and a USB to SATA adapter.

Why use a VIA6421 PCI controller?

Well frankly cause I've had one for years since this was the hardware that was recommended to use in the beginning that was know compatible with all the phat drives, so why not make it possible to use it with the slim's since no one has (or a least I haven't seen it posted anywhere) yet and there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there that use them.

Things you'll need:

1.) Lite-on 0225, Windbond, Slim 360 Dvd Drive

2.) VIA VT6421A PCI Controller

3.) Soldering Iron (Any kind well do as long as you have a fine point tip)

4.) USB to IDE/Sata cable (can be found very cheap on fleabay)

5.) Sata data cable

6.) XBOX 360 (Phat, could use the slim, but why take the chance of a possible flag)

7.) Jungleflasher V0.1.86 Beta (Current version at time of this tut)

8.) Latest C4EVA iXtreme firmware (Current version at time of this tut LT+ 1.91

OK, first things first.

You are going to want to get the 0225 DVD drive key so that in case anything happens that renders the drive unusable, at least you will have the key and can replace the drive.

Step 1) OK, make sure your 360 Phat is ready and hook the power molex to the 0225 drive.

Step 2) Connect the USB 2 IDE/SATA cable to the back USB port of the 360 .

Step 3) Conect the SATA data cable to the SATA port of the 0225 drive.

Step 4) Connect the other end of the SATA data cable to the SATA port of the USB 2 IDE/SATA cable

(Above is how it should look all hooked up. )

Step 5) Turn on the 360 by pressing the power button, either use a toothpick, long 360 case screw or remove the white plastic guard to gain better access.

Step 6) Now eject the DVD tray via the eject button and then press the button again to close the tray.

Step 7) Now disconnect the SATA data cable from the SATA port or the USB 2 IDE/SATA cable, leaving the other end still connected to the 0225 drive and connect the SATA cable to your VIA VT6421A PCI controller. Make sure to use the right SATA port on the controller.

Step 8) Now open Jungleflasher v0.1.86 beta and select the DVDKey 32 tab. (If using Vista or Windows 7 make sure to run program as administrator)

Step 9) Make sure that the drive is detected then press the "SlimKey" option.

Step 10a) Another window should then pop up asking if you want to send unlock to slim, make sure to choose "No".

Step 10b) Jungelflasher should then start the process of retrieving the key.

Step 11) Once it is done, make sure that it lists the key and that the key is verified.

Step 12) Once verified and all checks out you will be asked to save all files.

DO THIS, AND SAVE ALL FILES.

(Make sure to save all windows that pop up.)

Step 13) Close Jungle flasher and save the JF log file.

Now do the whole process again and save the bin files to another folder, close ot and make sure to save the JF log file and compare each JF log file to make sure the keys match. Do it three times or more if you want but make sure you have the right key cause without the key you will end up with a 360 DVD player if anything goes wrong and renders the 0225 drive inoperable.

Step 14)Plug in your soldering iron and get it hot and ready.

Before unlocking the spi, make sure your 360 is updated with the latest dash update. Do this just in case there has been an update that flashes the DVD drive. It would suck to have to do a re-flash over again because you put everything back together and an update happens to flash the drive to a stock firmware or worse, like say, get you banned.

SPI UNLOCKING

Step 15) MARKING THE WINDBOND FLASH CHIP FOR KAMAKAZE HACK WITH SOLDERING IRON:

Step 16) Ok now we will repeat steps 1 thur 8 but in step 8, instead of choosing the DVDKey 32 tab we now want to open the MK Flash 32 tab.

Step 17) Now you will want to choose the "Intro/Device ID" option.

Step 18) Because the drive is locked you will get a window like this,

make sure to choose "yes".

Step 19) Jungleflasher will now start sending the unlock command, this is where you will now take you soldering iron and start to slowing work at the marked spot of the Windbond flash chip. Make sure to apply light pressure and rotate the iron in your hand as you start to drill into the chip. Work for 3 to 4 seconds on each drilling followed by at least 1 second of wait time inbetween.

TIP: Make sure to have plenty of room to work with and make sure to have plenty of light and plenty of soldering iron cord (or just use a butane soldering iron, removes the cord from the equation, but these can be harmful if not used properly). The last thing you want is to end up burning yourself or trying to drill the wrong area on the chip.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBV8nrl98c[/ame]

This is a great tutorial to watch that shows you how to drill the chip by use of soldering iron.

Basically any soldering iron will do, just make sure you have a fine tip. I happened to have a 25w Weller and I filed the tip a little.

Step 20) Be sure to keep constant watch at the spi status of the chip on Jungleflasher. JF will not make a sound when it changes so you will have to keep look out for the status of the chip to change from 0X8C to 0X3. As soon as you see spi status 0X3 stop drilling the chip and set the soldering iron aside you might be needing it again soon.

(Just so you know JF will not stop sending the unlock command, you will just have to make sure that the spi status changes to 0X3 and then close out JF, this is normal for this kind of setup.)

Step 21) Now shut down JF, disconnect the SATA cable from the PCI controller and plug it back into the USB 2 IDE/SATA connector and then repeat steps 5 thur 7.

Step 22) Now run JF again and repeat step 17. JF should now place the drive in vender mode and display an spi status as the pic below.

If JF fails to display the above, then the drive is not unlocked and you will need to repeat step 21 then 17 thur 22. Be careful not to apply to much pressure when drilling the chip cause it shouldn't take much to unlock it this time around.

NOTE: If you have incorrectly followed the diagram to mark the chip or have drilled the chip too deep you may experience the dreaded "0225 windbond DVD tray failure". If this happens you can try the fix for this:

(I do not know if this works but it has been posted around that is does. I have not had to use this yet so I can not verify this b, but this is the diagram in case you experience this and want to try and fix it with out buying a new PCB.)

Here is a link to a better tutorial on this fix:

Code:
    http://www.xbox360iso.com/eject-fix-after-t444426.html
    Step 23) If JF does display the correct spi status of 0x00 after step 22 then go straight to "read" in MK Flash 32.
    You should now be presented with another window.

Click "Yes", it should then begin reading the flash and another window should appear:

OK, at this point do not choose the "Yes" option yet and leave JF running.

Step 24) Power down the 0225 drive/360 and unplug the SATA cable from the VIA6421 Controller and plug the SATA cable back into the SATA port of the USB 2 IDE/SATA cable and then repeat steps 5 thur 7 and then click "Yes". JF should then continue the process with no snags.

Make sure to save the firmware dump and keep it somewhere safe.

If JF gives you an error while trying to read the flash then you will have to reboot your computer, repeat step 21 then step 17 and then steps 21 thur 23 in hopes that you get a read this time.

Now if you still have an issue reading the flash then you can repeat the above process one last time or give up. The choice is yours.

Step 25) If you were able to read the flash and saved it, then reboot again, repeat step 21 then 17. Make sure the spi staus is unlocked:

Then open the Firmware Tool 32 tab.

Step 26) OK use the "Open Source Firmware" option to the right. Load the firmware dump you just saved in step 24. Make sure the key matches the key from the key dump, JF log you made earlier. JF should then automatically ask you if you want to "auto-load Lite-On iXtreme"

Of course you will want to say "Yes".

Another window should pop up:

Step 27) Follow as the directions on the above image tell you and then select the MTK Flash 32 tab again.

Step 28) Now this is where the magic is going to happen. Make sure JF looks like this:

And that the drive is in vender mode.

Step 29) Hit the write button and let the magic begin.

Once you see the above log, you now have a successfully flashed 360 Slim, Lite-On 0225 Windbond DVD drive.

Step 30) Now all you have to do is lock the spi. So, repeat step 21 and 22, you should have a log like so:

Step 31)Then you want to hit Ctrl+SHift+F11, the log will now say that it is sending the spi lock command. There will be no chime or log stating that it is locked but it will be.

Step 32) Next all you have to do is select the "Outro / ATA Reset" option and your done.

Step 33) Now I like to be sure that things go well so if your like me, just for good measure, repeat step 21 again, yeah I know, I know, and then step 17 and the spi status window should pop up again.

If that window above pops up then you have FINISHED.

Last step) Close JF, save JF log if you like, unplug all cables and reassemble your 360's.

Congratuations, you have succeeded the so called impossible.

Special thanks to all of those who have made this possible. They deserve all the credit for their hard work.

Very special thanks to C4EVA, without his firmware hacks, this would not be possible.

I would also like to take the time to thank the fine people of You Tube, intensify906 and 8ONREFNI. Both of your tutorials is what made this tutorial possible and better yet, made it possible for me to read/flash the 0225 windbond drives with my VIA 6421 PCI controller.

And last but certainly not least, I would like to thank XBOX360ISO.COM for all the help and knowledge I have learned. Oh, and all the games.

Thank you for your attention.

Printable version of tutorial:
    Code:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GKV2S8ZD

Default Re: TUTORIAL: 0225 Windbond Read/Write With VIA6421, Soldering Iron & USB 2 SATA Adap

Great tutorial man! I'm going to try this +Rep

Default Re: Slim Drive *Lite-On 0225 WB* Read/Write With VIA6421 & USB 2 SATA Adapter

is this really only for winbound or is it because the tutorial has the drilling trick for winbound? could i dump the drive and use the russian unlock with non winbounds?

what does the usb to sata going to the 360 really do is it just a case of needing to hot swap could using another pcs sata to swap to via do the same job if you dont have usb2sata?

Default Re: Slim Drive *Lite-On 0225 WB* Read/Write With VIA6421 & USB 2 SATA Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by sliddon View Post
    is this really only for winbound or is it because the tutorial has the drilling trick for winbound? could i dump the drive and use the russian unlock with non winbounds?

what does the usb to sata going to the 360 really do is it just a case of needing to hot swap could using another pcs sata to swap to via do the same job if you dont have usb2sata?
    Question #1) The tutorial I made is for Windbond only, however you can most likely use the tut minus the "SPI Unlock" section as MXIC does not require the flash chip to be drilled. You would have to substitute with the Russian Hack Method to unlock the spi.

Question #2) I don't know why the USB to SATA adapter works, but it does. It allows the drive to be placed into vendor mode. That's the only reason it is used. I used my VIA6421 controller cause I have had it for years and I wanted an easy way to utilize it to mod the dreaded WB 0225 drives.

If you try to place a drive in vendor mode without a USB to SATA adapter and a VIA6421 controller, it will not. It will constantly give you a status 0x51.

The VIA controller detects the drive fine but will not read or write the chip without the help of the USB adapter.

I also didn't want to pay for a X360USB Pro, besides I already had a VIA controller and a USB to SATA adapter was $4 shipped to my home.

this worked for me, however during drilling i get 0x1 from the 0x8c

Quote Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
    this worked for me, however during drilling i get 0x1 from the 0x8c

Not sure what that status means, I have never come across it. You do have an 0225 windbond drive, and you marked the flash correctly before drilling?

you spelt congratulations wrong

but nice tut

i did this and now my tray wont open and when i power cycle my xbox it opens the drive half way and it wont read my games
    Quote Originally Posted by damnightmare View Post
    Will murder anyone who turns this into a leak topic
    +Rep !!

Nice tutorial. That looks super hard tho

http://www.xbox360iso.com/9733-9733-usa-t643288.html

SWEET TUT I JUST BOUGHT SLIM WITH NEWEST DRIVE- 1071 lite-on drive- i just wanted to spoof a old phat drive- i dump the key -using your tut. i just could not get a old drive 7850 lite -on , a sammy m-25 and m-28 just would work at all ( play dvd) . Could not get one to work. -I have flash maybe 50 drives total i newbie - lol So did you tut on drive flash on my 1071 - following each step - beautifully done by way-! bam! - i playing burns on 1071 - so much thanks tools : used same as yours iron sata usb jungle 1.87 lt 1.92 dash 13599 drive liteon -1071 firmware via 6241 card/ aka money maker - lol

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast