PDA

View Full Version : Help With Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard

bill23
11th July 2011, 09:03 PM
I downloaded Snow Leopard from WhiteHot on my PC and now I need to burn it to DVD disc and I will be using IMGburn. I was wondering whether I needed to alter the Layer Break settings from when I burn 360 games or leave the settings as they are. I have already tried using an external HDD for installation but when i boot to the install I receive the message: "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer". Help appreciated with +rep.

allstarrm17
12th July 2011, 09:25 AM
It sounds like your comp isn't compatible with Snow Leopard. I would check to see if it is, or wait for someone that might know more then I do about it to tell you what the problem is. But, that message sounds like your comp can't get it.

bill23
12th July 2011, 09:54 AM
I appreciate your reply. But I don't think it's a compatibility issue because I own a 2008 MB running leopard 10.5.8. I was this close to just paying retail for Snow until I found out that I can't insert discs into my SuperDrive lol this just gets better and better...

allstarrm17
12th July 2011, 11:33 AM
Good luck man. From the way you explained it, it sounded like you were installing it into a PC.

WhiteHot
12th July 2011, 03:17 PM
I was this close to just paying retail for Snow until I found out that I can't insert discs into my SuperDrive lol this just gets better and better...

Install using DVD-DL [Dual Layer]:

1. Mount the "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso"
2. Open Disk Utility.
3. Select the .iso image (Mac OS X Install DVD).
4. Click "Burn" to burn on your dual layer DVD.
5. Restart your Mac and hold button 'c' to boot from the DVD.
6. Follow the instructions to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Install using External Hard Drive:

1. Plug in your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive.
2. Mount the "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso"
3. Open Disk Utility and select your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive from the drive list on the left.
4. Under "Volume Scheme", Select "1 Partition." and hit the "Option" button at the bottom of the map.
5. A window will pop-up, select the "GUID Partition Table" option.
6. Once its done, navigate to the "Restore" tab.
7. From the drive list on the left, drag the mounted Snow Leopard .iso to the "Source" field, and drag your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive to the "Destination" field.
8. Click "Restore."
9. Close Disk Utility, Open up System Preferences. Under "System," choose "Startup Disk,"
10. Your USB Flash Drive/External Hard Drive should be listed as the Snow Leopard installation disk. Select and click "Restart."
11. Install Snow Leopard 10.6.3

However, speaking in generalities, if a computer gives you the text

Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer

then you may be grasping at straws.

bill23
13th July 2011, 10:21 AM
Ok thank you for your help but I've tried this 5 or 6 times to no avail so I'll just sit this one out until I get my SuperDrive fixed. +rep for the help

kuzco11
13th July 2011, 10:29 AM
i dont know if you gave up or not but ive made a bootable usb using what whitehot provided you with on my imac

and ive also made a perfect burn of a Snow Leopard dmg from windows using ultraiso (it doesnt ask for a layer break)

69Voltage
13th July 2011, 10:31 AM
Last time I checked, replacing a SuperDrive is rather expensive. Look into getting an external drive instead. Save you over a $100 and works just as well.

bill23
13th July 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I managed to fix my SuperDrive and burned the DMG to a DVD DL and still got the error: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer". This wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that im updating directly to 10.6.7 from 10.5.8 maybe I should install a lower version i.e. 10.6.3 and then system update?

allstarrm17
14th July 2011, 07:31 AM
It could be, but I doubt it. You could try it. Then do a system update to 10.6.8.

bill23
15th July 2011, 02:37 PM
For anyone that's interested or people that may have this problem in future I solved the issue! All I did was install Snow Leopard 10.6 and then update to the latest 10.6.8. So thanks to everyone who helped along the way! +rep

allstarrm17
16th July 2011, 07:12 AM
For anyone that's interested or people that may have this problem in future I solved the issue! All I did was install Snow Leopard 10.6 and then update to the latest 10.6.8. So thanks to everyone who helped along the way! +rep

Hey, I said try it. So we were both right. :humble:

JSD
15th September 2011, 10:09 AM
OH THANK YOU HEAPS I NEEDED TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION! I have the exact same problem. Almost finished downloading 10.6 now so i will report back to say if it worked for me too. this sounds like its gonna be the solution since ive had 10.6 before and have been oh so confused that i havent been able to go straight from 10.5.8 to 10.6.7.

zaping18
27th September 2011, 04:54 AM
Bill 23 Snow Leopard 10.6 and then update to the latest 10.6.8 Thanks i had the same issue and i couldn't find any answer for it but after i do what u said it worked! Thanks For helping everybody