PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Jailbreaking

What
27th March 2011, 08:26 AM
If someone could so kindly explain to me the Pros and Cons of Jailbreaking an iPod Touch 4g to me that would be great. Thanks to whoever helps me out with this.

JasonW2010
27th March 2011, 08:38 AM
Well the main Pro is you would get a lot of the apps on the app store free. the con is the jailbreak for the 4th generation ipod touch is supposed to be dodgy. It can cause your ipod to not function properly. You also might not be able to play music as this is known to happen. I was going to jailbreak mine until i found out about this. Hope this helps

What
27th March 2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks bro but can anyone else confirm this? I just want to make sure.

wreckless2060
27th March 2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks bro but can anyone else confirm this? I just want to make sure.
I do a jailbreak service at my school and have never had a problem like that. The only con i can see is that it voids your warranty, But if you can reset your iPod then they wont know.
Its definitley worth it. I have done every model iPod Touch and iPhone except 1st GEn touch adn 1st and 2nd Gen iPhone.
Its also almost impossible to "brick" your device unless you really screw up extremely bad. Like throwing it at a wall while its in the Jailbreaking process.
The pros are so many: Custom themes and programs and tweaks as well as EVERY APP being free no matter what it costs in the App Store, I have a tutorial in the PC Tuts section if you need it ;) Very easyand allu need is a USB cable and a free program.

JasonW2010
27th March 2011, 08:47 AM
check out this vid this should confirm it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD24qtHlLeg

bx don
27th March 2011, 08:48 AM
iphone 4 JB on 4.1 and to be honest best thing every.. never pay for apps and you able to customize your phone to your style... no bugs or issues so far and it been a long while already....

What
27th March 2011, 08:57 AM
Well I have the iTouch 4 Generation if that makes a difference.

ferrin
27th March 2011, 08:59 AM
Only one Con.. Having to wait for the next flawless Jailbreak before you can
update to the newest iOS. The rest is all Pros.

What
27th March 2011, 09:06 AM
Well I didn't update to the newest apple update yet sooooooo.....

tcbikerguy6
27th March 2011, 09:11 AM
This^^^^

Panda Milk
27th March 2011, 09:12 AM
what firmware do you have... Go to setting, general, about then tell me it

JasonW2010
27th March 2011, 09:13 AM
Give it a try. there are plenty of tuts how to do it. And as everyone else said, theres a lot of great stuff you can do, free apps, custom themes and a lot more.

ferrin
27th March 2011, 09:16 AM
Make a solid actual backup.
Then go to greenp0ison, download it,
and follow the onscreen instructions.
literally takes less than 5 minutes.

A quick 3 second search for hackulous will lead you to info
on accessing their repo and opening up
the world of app goodness that awaits you!

What
27th March 2011, 09:20 AM
Version is 4.2.1 (8C148)

wreckless2060
27th March 2011, 09:22 AM
Version is 4.2.1 (8C148)
Untethered Jailbreak is out for it, Google Greenp0ison download it and foolow the instructions in the program.

What
27th March 2011, 09:30 AM
With Greenpoison what would I do with the newest update with apple? Because I know theres one out now but I haven't updated to it yet.

What
27th March 2011, 09:32 AM
And with all the **** I have on it now, would I lose it all?

baldy
27th March 2011, 09:34 AM
don't update to it...that's itunes telling you that right? just choose no (i think download later)......i used redsnow for my iphone 3g...greenposion is for the itouch just make sure it's compatible with the 4g (if that's the one u got)

What
27th March 2011, 09:36 AM
I've tried updating to the new update before and it just fails as its done downloading. And my iPod isn't jailbroken yet.

baldy
27th March 2011, 09:46 AM
update itunes first without having the itouch connected... but if you update ur itouch from 4.2.1 u maybe won't be able to get an untethered jailbrake

WhiteHot
27th March 2011, 09:57 AM

This^^^^

EXACTLY.

You could have a 'retarded' (look it up in the dictionary 12 year olds) iPod, or you could have a super-iPod.

There are no cons.

ferrin
27th March 2011, 10:02 AM
Greenp0ison is not just for the ipod Touch.
It's for ALL iOS devices including AppleTV and iPad.
sheesh..

What
27th March 2011, 10:05 AM
And what are the odds of "Bricking" it? Also thanks for helping me out.

ferrin
27th March 2011, 10:32 AM
Well i'd say next to none providing you do what the screen says to.
The instructions go as you do it.
It's pretty sweet and quite clever actually.
If something actually went strangely wrong. you can use the
itunes restore button, and then restore your backup.
No sweat there.
I personally have never had a deviced get bricked
and ive had my touch Jailbroke for years now.
Just got the phone a few months ago and it was
hacked within the first 15 minutes i owned it lol

What
27th March 2011, 10:38 AM
One last thing guys, if I jailbreak will I lose the phone numbers and other apps I already have on it or will they still be there when its done?

wreckless2060
27th March 2011, 10:44 AM
One last thing guys, if I jailbreak will I lose the phone numbers and other apps I already have on it or will they still be there when its done?
Everything is kept, Your iPod will have everything it had on there before.

What
27th March 2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks

ferrin
27th March 2011, 10:57 AM
Yup, even your apps stay.
Just remember to google Hackulous once you're all done.
You want the hacked app synching ability as well as the HackedApps store.
(works just like the app store but everything is free)

WhiteHot
27th March 2011, 11:08 AM
So did Hackulo.us replace Installo.us?

Right when I exited the scene Installo.us had a password to the site that changed like every day because it was getting hit too much.

allstarrm17
27th March 2011, 11:45 AM
If you use Green poison there's no way to brick it. If you mess up, just go back and re-install the original iOS. I had to do that. I messed up following the instructions from green poison.

:second:

I win the retard of the week award. :D

Btw, just got a brand spanking new 15" MBP. It's the base 15 MBP. It's gorgeous and can't wait to get to use it and get to know it better.

wreckless2060
27th March 2011, 11:47 AM
So did Hackulo.us replace Installo.us?

Right when I exited the scene Installo.us had a password to the site that changed like every day because it was getting hit too much.
No its now apptrackr(.)0rg and you still use installous as an app though for your device.

What
27th March 2011, 12:13 PM
Jailbreak successful, now what the hell should I download onto it?

wreckless2060
27th March 2011, 12:31 PM
Jailbreak successful, now what the hell should I download onto it?
Did you install Cydia?If not then go into Loader on your homescreen and install it then get the following packages to start:
Winterboard
Then in Cydia go into Manage and sources and edit and add source then google "Installous source" or PM me as it is a link techincally and add that source
then once that finishes search and install the following from Cydia INstallous and App Sync 4.0+
And those are starters...Go to appleiso or google or just browse cydia for other stuff you might want.

motograter
27th March 2011, 01:10 PM
WOW How old is that video????? There has been a FULLY functioning untethered jailbreak for ALL iDevices for quite a while now. There's already a jailbreak for 4.3.1.... s i n f u l i p h o n e.com for proof..... Anyway, just use greenpois0n to jailbreak your ipod. Everything on your ipod WILL work after you jailbreak. It's not hard, takes about 5 minutes to jailbreak. The only PITA part if you're on a windows machine is sometimes you might have to run the jailbreak twice the first time you do it because it takes windows forever to download & install the Apple DFU driver and greenpois0n assumes the idevice is no longer in DFU and quits. If that happens, just wait a minute or 2 and run it again.
Posts merged - please don't double post!

If something actually went strangely wrong. you can use the
itunes restore button, and then restore your backup.

DONT RESTORE WITH ITUNES. It will force you to upgrade to 4.3.1 & there is no stable jailbreak. If you're still on 4.2.1, stay there. If you upgrade there is no way for you to downgrade back to 4.2.1 or lower unless you have your SHSH blobs stored somewhere which you don't since you just jailbroke & Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 weeks ago.

What
27th March 2011, 01:35 PM
Umm thanks bro, lol. Already jailbroke it, all good. Now I'm just trying to learn what I can do with it now. One thing I do want but can't seem to find it for free is the infinite board, but I think I'll find it soon.

allstarrm17
27th March 2011, 02:12 PM
You can use facetime without being on wifi.

gsr101
27th March 2011, 02:17 PM
why would there be any cons?

What
27th March 2011, 02:23 PM
why would there be any cons?I didn't know and what's a jalibroken?

ferrin
27th March 2011, 03:46 PM
DONT RESTORE WITH ITUNES. It will force you to upgrade to 4.3.1 & there is no stable jailbreak. If you're still on 4.2.1, stay there. If you upgrade there is no way for you to downgrade back to 4.2.1 or lower unless you have your SHSH blobs stored somewhere which you don't since you just jailbroke & Apple stopped signing 4.2.1 weeks ago.

Seriously...
In the event that he somehow actually and highly unlikely bricked the phone..
Gotta read the rest of the info before spazzing bud.
People get confused and incorrect info that way.

kewlguy23
27th March 2011, 03:46 PM
Another good app downloading site is Appzone(dot)eu. Check it out, I use that site all the time.

What
27th March 2011, 05:50 PM
Ummm could some tell me how to re-add the default sources, I deleted them thinking I didn't need them. I know the names of them just not the links to re-add them. No one told me I needed them, so if anyone can help me out that'd be really cool. Hopefully some help by the time I wake tomorrow.

ChrisISO
27th March 2011, 06:00 PM
Ummm could some tell me how to re-add the default sources, I deleted them thinking I didn't need them. I know the names of them just not the links to re-add them. No one told me I needed them, so if anyone can help me out that'd be really cool. Hopefully some help by the time I wake tomorrow.
check pm

Gamerplay
27th March 2011, 06:42 PM
Only con like others were saying are you have to wait for the jailbroken update. But I dont update much anyways as you dont get much of a fix from updates anyways so updates don't really matter. You could always return your ipod back to default fw. So really you cant mess up. Iphones are different. I dont know much about those but i knew u have to back up something so you dont mess up. Ipods you dont have to backup anything other then apps but that doesnt really matter.

mitchxboxiso
27th March 2011, 06:51 PM
jailbreaking is so easy....i got a kida t my school to pay me $40 to jailbreak his ipod ...he lost it the next day lmao

bx don
28th March 2011, 01:35 AM
+Rep I couldn't have put it any better!!!

What
29th March 2011, 03:29 AM
Well, how long does it usually take to for the next flawless jailbreak to come out?

wreckless2060
29th March 2011, 05:51 AM
^There is no average time, Some firmwares are more vulnerable some are less and have less support for apps and themes and such, Its really all the same if youve Jailbroken one youve Jailbroke em all.

zeroknight
29th March 2011, 06:44 AM
There are really no cons about it your benefits include apps that are not allowed by apple and pirated apps, yes you wont be able to update very often but what does that really matter when updates do surface sometimes they have bugs like the 4.1 on did for the iPhone in a way its is beneficial not to update asap all the time. There is an app in cydia you have to purchase of course but it allows you to sync your deice wirelessly something the apple store will not allow.

martyn4568
29th March 2011, 06:56 AM
Wait there's cons?? lol seriously I wouldn't want an Iphone or Ipod touch if it wasn't jailbroken free apps.

Gamerplay
29th March 2011, 05:49 PM
Wait there's cons?? lol seriously I wouldn't want an Iphone or Ipod touch if it wasn't jailbroken free apps.
Con: You will not be cool and be part of the "in" group.
Con: You will be made fun of by nerds for thinking its bad.