PDA

View Full Version : Mac Ram Usage?

bx don
25th February 2011, 04:58 AM
Why does All my Ram always go into the BLUE zone?
Green= Free
Blue= Inactive
Red= Wired
Yellow= Active
I have 6gb of Ram on my iMac and no matter what I try to do most of my Ram go's into inactive I mean its such a waist to me. is there anything I can do to make my system use all 6gb of ram so its not just being waisted?
I have a 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 duo
6gb of ram
and the most I've seen it use is maybe 1.5gh of that 6gb of ram. I know it has to reserve memory for programs that shut down and start up but if I'm only running 1 program why cant it use as much ram as available?
Please serious and educated answers only this questions is for MAC USERS..... thanks

69Voltage
25th February 2011, 05:17 AM
When I happen to look at my RAM usage, it also rarely uses much. Could it be that you and I just aren't doing anything that requires a lot of RAM? Are you having any issues that you think are being caused by not using most of your RAM?

WhiteHot
25th February 2011, 06:25 AM
Well its kind of a strange question.

You're asking 'why is all my RAM not in Green/Yellow zone but in the Blue?'

Well, if
Green= Free
Blue= Inactive
Red= Wired
Yellow= Active

Then that would mean you had apps open, but terminated them. It leaves a footprint of 'used' memory. So if you were to immediately close an app and then open it, it would be a quicker relaunch than if you opened and closed 12 apps in between (point is, it invisibly stays ready for the last app opened)

Green or Free would be brand new RAM that hadn't been used since system launch, so no wonder there is rarely anything there. It has the tendency to use all of it up, before starting to cannibalize the beginning.

Unless you turn on the Mac and it shows most in Blue?

This is mine and looks correct to me:
http://i.imgur.com/QBKrp.jpg

bx don
25th February 2011, 09:51 AM
I do allot of video editing/converting with hand Break and no matter what I use I feel like it just goes blue. whether I'm using one program or 5 look at the pics...

When I happen to look at my RAM usage, it also rarely uses much. Could it be that you and I just aren't doing anything that requires a lot of RAM? Are you having any issues that you think are being caused by not using most of your RAM?

white this is what mines looks like when I first boot up.
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/enuf617/Picture1-20.png

this is what it looks like after I start using Chrome and Handbreak.
http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt115/enuf617/Picture2-11.png

I dont understand why over 4gb of Ram is just being lost in the Blue Zone? any ideas

Well its kind of a strange question.

You're asking 'why is all my RAM not in Green/Yellow zone but in the Blue?'

Well, if
Green= Free
Blue= Inactive
Red= Wired
Yellow= Active

Then that would mean you had apps open, but terminated them. It leaves a footprint of 'used' memory. So if you were to immediately close an app and then open it, it would be a quicker relaunch than if you opened and closed 12 apps in between (point is, it invisibly stays ready for the last app opened)

Green or Free would be brand new RAM that hadn't been used since system launch, so no wonder there is rarely anything there. It has the tendency to use all of it up, before starting to cannibalize the beginning.

Unless you turn on the Mac and it shows most in Blue?

This is mine and looks correct to me:
http://i.imgur.com/QBKrp.jpg

69Voltage
25th February 2011, 12:13 PM
That does seem odd. You might try the Apple forums. Lot of good info over there.

WhiteHot
25th February 2011, 02:16 PM
Hmm. Well, it's using all resources available to it? Like is handbrake open, or ripping too? If it has 4GB to use why not right...

But it does seem weird.

bx don
26th February 2011, 08:19 AM
ok guys I spoke to a apple rep for about 30 mins he kept running me thru some test to stress the ram out to make sure the systems reads all 6gb.. no issues there so he asking me a whole bunch of crap that didn't help then he asked what am i doing I told him I'm probably downloading and converting he asked what do I do with the files after I download them. I said un-rar them and trash what I don't need. He asked how many times are u doing that I told him most of the time im on the mac. he suspected that he found the issue... I said what is it? he said try emptying your trash can because even thought I closed the rar program and put the unused items in the trash the system still leave the memory in the BLUE ZONE just incase I want to take the stuff out the trash. so after the empty the trash like magic the blue filled right up the Green..... Problem Solved!!
He also recommended that I set clean my mac to empty the trash after its 1gb full to avoid this issue... and so far so good that was last night!!

69Voltage
26th February 2011, 10:01 AM
Good news. I regularly empty the trash the easy way, but also often do a "deeper" empty by FInder/Secure Empty Trash.

bx don
26th February 2011, 10:07 AM
hows that done?
Good news. I regularly empty the trash the easy way, but also often do a "deeper" empty by FInder/Secure Empty Trash.

69Voltage
26th February 2011, 11:30 AM
Open up your Finder window, once open, click on "Finder" top left of toolbar, then you'll see "Secure Empty Trash". If it's not highlighted, create a simple TextEdit page to throw in there. Even though you only have that TextEdit in there, you'll notice how much longer it takes to empty the trash using this method, and that it will probably show it's emptying more than the single piece of trash you put in there. That's the deep clean I was talking about.

WhiteHot
26th February 2011, 12:03 PM
Oh yea lol I empty my Trash every time I put something in it.

Probably why I didn't know that.