PDA

View Full Version : New MBP's

69Voltage
28th January 2011, 01:10 AM
More proof of a new model of MBP. They even mention it might include the Sandy Bridge. Yay. From MacRumors.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/01/26/170537-amazon_17_mbp.jpg

MacRumors has heard from several sources that supplies of Apple's existing MacBook Pro models, particularly the 15" and 17" sizes, are beginning to run low in Apple stores and at third-party retailers, suggesting that the company may be drawing down stock in advance of an update to the product line. At least one major retail chain has reportedly notified its branches that it has been unable to fulfill replenishment orders, a situation that has been tied to forthcoming product updates in the past.

The 17" MacBook Pro generally appears to be in the shortest supply at the moment, with Amazon quoting a shipment window of 1-2 months for the base Core i5 model and several popular resellers connected through Amazon's systems also showing low stocks of the 17" models. For its part, Apple continues to show "within 24-hour" availability of all MacBook Pro models in its online stores, suggesting that the company may be prioritizing remaining stock to serve its customers directly.

Apple's MacBook Pro has been expected to receive an update in the relatively near future, as the line is due for an revision any time now and sources have indicated that the MacBook Pros would indeed be updated some time in the first half of this year. A new version of the MacBook Pro will almost certainly incorporate Intel's Sandy Bridge microarchitecture and could see the company adopt some aspects of the its successfully revamped MacBook Air in order to improve performance and reduce size and weight.

indigokid1
29th January 2011, 09:06 AM
so when do you thinj theyll come out so i can put off buying one now

69Voltage
29th January 2011, 10:27 AM
Pretty sure it's sometime during the summer, after their big conference in June. Just guessing though.

XxRockstarxX
29th January 2011, 10:28 AM
so when do you thinj theyll come out so i can put off buying one now

I think its going to definitely be released before the end of Q2 of this year...definitely wait even if it takes longer to get released you will thank me later. I bought the black macbook and then they announced the aluminum macbook like 3 months later lol I wish I wouldve waited :/

Gresh
29th January 2011, 10:31 AM
It possible but I think it has to do with the fact that apple has been POUNDED these last few months, i saw somewhere its like a 240% increase from last year.

They prob were just took of gaurd with the demand. Its also very likely that there will be a new one to.

WhiteHot
29th January 2011, 11:53 AM
Apple has an amazing problem; everyone wants their stuff.

Must be what happens when you create the hardware AND the software too!! http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/images/smiles/icon_idea1.gif

Too much sense for Microflaccid (forget who said that originally but it's still funny)

69Voltage
30th January 2011, 01:01 AM
Apple has an amazing problem; everyone wants their stuff.

Must be what happens when you create the hardware AND the software too!! http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/images/smiles/icon_idea1.gif

Too much sense for Microflaccid (forget who said that originally but it's still funny)

LOL, you're welcome. You got me started on the whole thing with your "Windoze".

allstarrm17
30th January 2011, 11:05 AM
LOL. Whitehot got me saying Winblows. Microflacid is one I have to remember for later one. Once the new MBPs come out, I think I will get one. That will be just for fun.

hamwinkie
30th January 2011, 12:38 PM
hopefully it will come with the magic glove:)

indigokid1
30th January 2011, 01:45 PM
i was hoping for feburary or even march cuz i have to go to school and i cant put off getting a laptop for too much longer why won't they hurry up :(

WhiteHot
30th January 2011, 03:48 PM
Lol. Sorry to hear.

I'm QUITE sure that whenever you obtain your brand new Mac laptop...you'll be loving it. I know, it's very hard to not spend the money or to not obtain other things...but among friends...even my own GF...she loves her Mac currently and wouldn't trade 5 tricked out Winblows.

It's hard; I'll completely admit it. I probably wouldn't survive if I wanted a Mac and had the money for it. But it's worth it. You'll love it.

69Voltage
31st January 2011, 07:04 AM
I see....thanks for the tips guys. I can do something about this now. Who wants Windows 8?

Lol, thanks Bill, but I'll pass.

scottixboy
1st February 2011, 05:24 AM
Apple products are ahead of their time, im still using a 6 year old PowerMac G5 i payed $2400 for, and its still faster than my gaming pc, that was upgraded until last year.
PowerPC SHALL LIVE ON....

ApachePB
3rd February 2011, 04:38 PM
Still overrated for the retail price

69Voltage
3rd February 2011, 11:19 PM
Still overrated for the retail price

Until you have something worthwhile to contribute, get the f*ck out.

indigokid1
4th February 2011, 05:22 AM
lol voltage its was just an opinion geez

69Voltage
4th February 2011, 08:07 AM
lol voltage its was just an opinion geez

Yeah, maybe that was a little harsh. lol Didn't add anything constructive. A little tired of people making posts like that. If he wants to take the time to point out why he thinks they are overrated for the price, fine.

allstarrm17
4th February 2011, 11:42 AM
I likes winblows. What can you do? It's like being a second hand citizen.

WhiteHot
4th February 2011, 03:15 PM
Whatever floats your boat. I'm fairly past convincing people to get a Mac. I just lead by example.

I also tend to ask them, how many Mac service repair shops are there? I know of 1. 'Cause they don't need to be serviced.

69Voltage
9th February 2011, 01:39 AM
From MacRumors.

Late last month, we reported that we had received word of tightening MacBook Pro supplies, suggesting that an update to Apple's popular notebook line might be coming in the near future.

Information has continued to flow in regarding tightening supplies, with Japanese blog Macotakara reporting today that supplies in Japan are now pushing out to 2-3 week shipping estimates. The site also reports that the following Sandy Bridge configurations are likely for update MacBook Pros:
Core i7-2620M(2.70GHz)
Core i5-2540M(2.60GHz)
Core i5-2520M(2.50GHz)
Core i5-2410M(2.30GHz)
Core i3-2310M(2.10GHz)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/02/07/154036-best_buy_notebook_3_11_11_500.jpg

Also getting attention today is a Best Buy inventory screen pointing to a March 11th in-stock date for what may be a revised version of the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro. We received word of the same database entry about ten days ago, but have little faith in its accuracy, as the company did the exact same thing in early 2010, guessing at a March 14th date for new models. The update didn't actually occur until a month after the proposed date.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/02/07/155139-releasesa2.jpg

Best Buy's predicted date from 2010

The other wildcard in the MacBook Pro update situation is Intel's "design error" that has forced the company to fix its manufacturing process for one of the chips in the chipset being used the Sandy Bridge processors presumably destined for the next-generation MacBook Pros and iMacs. A delay in availability of Sandy Bridge chipsets could easily push back MacBook Pro updates from Apple's original target date and result in an extended period of tight supplies of the current models.

indigokid1
9th February 2011, 02:49 PM
maclife is saying that the new MBP's with sandy bridge will be out this month :O

scottixboy
11th February 2011, 06:27 AM
I dunno why you guys are like, anti-windows, its a good OS, but OS X is better and has obviously had a better team than Microsoft did in the development process, one example:
OS X doesn't break everything when you update to a new version. Windows only sells the most because its a multiplatform type PC, its just software, whereas OS X is designed by the people who make the computer, for the computer and that works very well, Also a Unix based OS is like 1000x more secure than Windows

69Voltage
11th February 2011, 09:33 AM
I dunno why you guys are like, anti-windows, its a good OS, but OS X is better and has obviously had a better team than Microsoft did in the development process, one example:
OS X doesn't break everything when you update to a new version. Windows only sells the most because its a multiplatform type PC, its just software, whereas OS X is designed by the people who make the computer, for the computer and that works very well, Also a Unix based OS is like 1000x more secure than Windows

Speaking for myself, I'm "anti-Winsucks" because I've used both OS's and OS X is far more user friendly and works more flawlessly. It's also interesting how you have seen MS style their OS over the years to look more and more like Apple's. I would also wager that if Mac products were more affordable, as in the MS price range, you would see more of their users cross over.

But to each his own. I'm not going to bag on somebody who is happy about whatever OS they are using, as long as that when they b*tch about Mac's, they've actually used one for a period of time before stating their opinion.

allstarrm17
11th February 2011, 02:32 PM
I had someone tell me that Mac OS is trying to look like linux. I just googled it. Mac OS has been out since 1984 (Apple down played it for many years). Most people think that Xerox started the GUI OS's. It was Apple. Let's not forget that Apple also came out with the first wireless routers, or as we all know it as now, wifi. Not to mention that Apple TV is pretty much what M$ is trying to do with their OS. Linux/Unix is a free OS and is not as secure as you would think. Ask Sony how easy it was to hack their linux based PS2. Because it's free, Unix isn't as safe as people think. Your better off protecting your PC with programs you've created yourself, if you know code.

69Voltage
17th February 2011, 08:10 AM
http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/macbook-pro-with-bad-credit-e1297872041390.jpg

Last year, Apple signed an exclusive agreement to use Liquidmetal — a high-strength metal that is light and can be processed like plastic — in their future products.

An ex Liquidmetal exec thought Apple would make iPhones out of it. A source speaking to MacTrast, though, says that Apple’s Liquidmetal investment won’t debut in the iOS line, but instead in March’s MacBook Pro refresh… which looks like a far more radical redesign than previously suspected.

Since Liquidmetal is both stronger and lighter than aluminum, a Liquidmetal MacBook Pro could be up to 20% lighter than current models. That means the 13-inch Pro will weigh only 3.7 pounds (down from 4.5),while the 15-inch will slim down to 4.6 pounds (from 5.8) and the 17-inch to 5.3 pounds (from 6.6).

Additionally, the report says that Apple has managed to improve battery life by up to 20% over current models, while simultaneously lowering power consumption thanks to a new type of display. Combined, this might drastically increase the already impressive battery life of the MacBook Pro line.

Hardware-wise, all MacBook Pros will be updated to Intel’s Sandy Bridge architecture, which we’ve heard before. All around, the new Pros will receive the higher-res, build-to-order displays of the current models as stock, bumping the 13-inch Pro to a base res of 1440 x 900 in both glossy and matte finish.

Intriguingly, though, the 15- and 17-inch models are said to be gaining a modular bay for the optical drive, which will allow it to be easily swapped with a secondary hard drive or other SATA device. Although MacTrast doesn’t specifically say so, this strongly implies ubiquitous SSDs to me, with users allowed to swap out an optical drive or larger external hard drive as needed.

Finally, MacTrast’s sources say the prices of the new MacBook Pros will be more aggressive than ever, with the 13-inch MacBook Pro starting at $1099, the 15-inch costing $1549 and the 17-inch starting at $2099.

This is the most exciting rumor we’ve seen about the new MacBook Pros yet. It’s a major revision of the current line. We have mixed feelings on the accuracy of the report — it seems too early in the partnership for Apple to be rolling out Liquidmetal in such quantities, for one; it’s a big jump from iPhone SIM ejection tool to a full laptop chassis — but a modular optical drive / HDD bay makes a lot of sense as a “missing link” mutation as Apple laptops evolve away from physical media and towards solid state flash memory.

Nice price drop. I think my basic 15" MBP was $2K two years ago. That's back when they were charging $400 to upgrade the RAM. I got the base model and upgraded the RAM($60 for 4 gigs) and HDD($80 for a 250 gig) myself.

allstarrm17
17th February 2011, 08:40 AM
Oh, I found out the Apple has been making GUI OS's since 1984. If I'm correct, that would be well before Winhoes and probably Xerox started their OS's. Also about 8 years before someone thought of Linux.

I've heard from a lot of people that Mac's OS's and All the Winblows were based off of a Xerox OS. That might shoot that down. Also, for those that don't know what a GUI OS is, it is an OS that allows you to use a mouse and windows. Pretty much it is every OS out there now. Windows was also not it's own OS until NT came out. Before that it was a face for MS Dos, or for those of us that remember the old 80's PCs, a crap load of typing. Apple was years ahead of the curve and still seem to be. They also designed the first wireless router, or as it's called now, wifi.

WhiteHot
17th February 2011, 10:10 AM
*Cue jaw drop*

69Voltage
22nd February 2011, 09:45 AM
Cool. And less expensive than previous models.

The new MacBook Pros expected later this week will boot off solid-state drives, claims Boy Genius Report, citing unnamed sources.

In addition:

The new MacBook Pros will feature larger glass trackpads. It’s hard to imagine how this is possible, but they’ve been growing with each successive machine, so maybe so.
The lower-end models will have 8GB-16GB SSDs for Mac OS X, and will also come equipped with a regular hard drive. This will offer the benefits of SSDs — instant on and super fast performance — while also providing lots of room for power users’ files (video and Photoshop).
The higher-end models will be SSD only, just like Apple’s new MacBook Air line.
The new machines will be up to a half-pound lighter than curent models. Again, hard to imagine how this is possible given that Liquidmetal rumors are unlikely.
The report also note there will be five different SKUs, jibing with previous rumor reports.

Also rumored.

The new MacBook Pros are due on Thursday according to pervasive Internet scuttlebutt, and at the very least, a jump to Intel’s new Sandy Bridge architecture is a sure thing… but another state-of-the-art Intel technology might be coming to them as well, with Mactrast reporting that the February 24th MBP refresh might include the adoption of Intel’s Light Peak technology.

Light Peak is Intel’s next-generation, high-speed connection technology that unites in the same copper SCSI, SATA, eSATA USB, DisplayPort, FireWire and PCI Express. One connector to rule them all. The adoption of LightPeak would not only a giant speed bump for Mac users — throughput is close to 10Gbps, or three times faster than USB3 and about 12.5x faster than Firewire 800 — but would vastly simplify the internal layout of Macs… a consolidating move very much in keeping with Apple’s design ethos (in and of itself, no surprise, given the fact that Intel developed Light Peak upon Apple’s prodding).

MacTrast’s report follows a report by CNet saying that Apple would soon unveil a new high-speed connection technology for use in Macs that would be based upon Light Peak, although not branded as such.

As for USB 3.0, don’t expect it in the new MacBook Pros. Intel is not due to ship a chipset with USB 3.0 integrated until 2012, and Steve Jobs went on record last year saying that Apple did not see “USB 3 taking off.” That sounds like a man betting on Light Peak.

allstarrm17
22nd February 2011, 10:28 AM
:jaw:

69Voltage
25th February 2011, 12:16 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how well Thunderbolt performs. Not as much of a price drop as had been reported, but still becoming less expensive every year.

Along with announcing Thunderbolt, Apple has also officially outed the new MacBook Pros

Starting at prices of just $1199, these new MacBook Pros make the leap to Intel’s new architecture, Sandy Bridge, starting with the 13-incher’s 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 CPU and stretching all the way up to the $2499 17-incher’s 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor.

Overall, the bumps are pretty modest. Apple has shifted away from NVIDIA GPUs this generation and embraced AMD’s RadeonHD graphics in the 15- and 17-inchers, with the low-end 15-inch Pro boasting an AMD RadeonHD 6490M GPU with 256MB of GDDR5 memory, while the high-end 15-and-17-inchers pack in an AMD Radeon HD6750M GPU with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.

4GB of RAM is ubiquitous across all models. While an option, SSDs are not ubiquitous, and storage ranges between 320GB and 750GB stock.

Contrary to rumor, the displays also did not get a resolution bump, which is just weird: the 13-inch MacBook Pro has a lower-resolution display now than the entry-level MacBook Air that costs $200 less.

All models of MacBook Pro pack an advertised “up to” 7 hours of battery life.

Not bad, but nothing groundbreaking… except for Thunderbolt, which — when all is said and done — I’m guessing will end up being the most important product Apple ships this year.

allstarrm17
25th February 2011, 12:25 PM
Did you check out the Apple site? The new MBPs came out. The 15 inch and 17 inch come with the quadcore I7s

mk3turbo91
7th March 2011, 06:01 AM
I just got one of the new ones and love it!

69Voltage
7th March 2011, 06:11 AM
I just got one of the new ones and love it!

Congrats! What did you get? And how does it compare to the older models?

allstarrm17
7th March 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking about getting one. I torn between that and waiting until after august for an apt.