PDA

View Full Version : How to format a mac?

conrado
23rd January 2011, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, i got an iMac 27' and i wanna format it. Is it almost the same as windows? I mean, i just back up my files and then put the installation disc that came with the computer and then install it again? Thanks for the support.

XxRockstarxX
23rd January 2011, 09:02 AM
Part One: Erasing the hard drive

1.Turn on the computer.
2.Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the optical drive, or insert the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive into the USB port.
3.Press and hold the "C" key while the computer starts up. The computer will start up using the Install media. Alternatively, press and hold the Option key at startup to select the volume containing the installer.
4.If your are using a wireless mouse, a mouse icon should appear asking you to turn the mouse on so that the computer can discover it.
5.Select a language, then press the right arrow key.
6.Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
7.Select a volume to erase (usually called Macintosh HD).
8.Click the Erase tab.
9.Click Erase... Important: This step will completely erase your hard drive. If you have installed Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp, or have multiple partitions, this procedure will erase the partition you select.
10.A dialog box appears asking if you want to erase the partition: click Erase.
11.After the partition is erased, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility menu.

Part Two: Installing the operating system

1.When the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installer screen appears, click Continue.
2.When the license agreement appears, click Agree.
3.Select the disk you erased. It should now be highlighted with a green arrow.
4.Click Install. A status bar appears on the bottom of the screen while Mac OS X installs.
5.An Additional Information screen appears, advising you that you operating system has been installed. Click Continue.
6.An Install Succeeded screen appears. Click Restart.

Hope I helped! :)

conrado
23rd January 2011, 09:11 AM
Part One: Erasing the hard drive

1.Turn on the computer.
2.Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the optical drive, or insert the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive into the USB port.
3.Press and hold the "C" key while the computer starts up. The computer will start up using the Install media. Alternatively, press and hold the Option key at startup to select the volume containing the installer.
4.If your are using a wireless mouse, a mouse icon should appear asking you to turn the mouse on so that the computer can discover it.
5.Select a language, then press the right arrow key.
6.Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
7.Select a volume to erase (usually called Macintosh HD).
8.Click the Erase tab.
9.Click Erase... Important: This step will completely erase your hard drive. If you have installed Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp, or have multiple partitions, this procedure will erase the partition you select.
10.A dialog box appears asking if you want to erase the partition: click Erase.
11.After the partition is erased, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility menu.

Part Two: Installing the operating system

1.When the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installer screen appears, click Continue.
2.When the license agreement appears, click Agree.
3.Select the disk you erased. It should now be highlighted with a green arrow.
4.Click Install. A status bar appears on the bottom of the screen while Mac OS X installs.
5.An Additional Information screen appears, advising you that you operating system has been installed. Click Continue.
6.An Install Succeeded screen appears. Click Restart.

Hope I helped! :)

Perfect. Helped a lot!

My external HD has just arrived, so im gonna do it now.

Thanks for the support and +rep of course!

69Voltage
23rd January 2011, 11:12 AM
Enjoy the new iMac conrado!

conrado
23rd January 2011, 11:31 AM
Enjoy the new iMac conrado!

Thanks bro... i have it for about 1 and half month and im loving it. Im new to macs so i installed a lot of programs, so now im gonna format it and install just the ones i liked and need. Thanks for the support, im gonna format it tomorrow... i will burn some x360 games before it! :D

XxRockstarxX
23rd January 2011, 11:46 AM
Perfect. Helped a lot!

My external HD has just arrived, so im gonna do it now.

Thanks for the support and +rep of course!

No problem man. Enjoy!

conrado
23rd January 2011, 11:57 AM
No problem man. Enjoy!

Thanks, BTW... how many time took the installation? Like 20 mins?

wrxesteefly
23rd January 2011, 11:57 AM
fyi do not use the 'case sensitive' when you reformat, it doesn't help any, and usually only causes problems

conrado
23rd January 2011, 12:06 PM
fyi do not use the 'case sensitive' when you reformat, it doesn't help any, and usually only causes problems

Ok, thanks.. btw, im in love with your sig <3

LMAO! j/k

allstarrm17
23rd January 2011, 04:05 PM
Congrats conrado. Have fun with it. I'm hoping I can save enough to buy the new MBP when it comes out.