PDA

View Full Version : Can't burn xbox360 games, help plz!

Mo.ie
30th September 2010, 11:04 AM
Hello everyone

I'm a newbie here and cant burn xbox games
everytime i start burning somewhere along the process it suddenly stops
and gives me the msg "burning finished" or so and the dvd is verified as a blank dvd afterwards

so I'll explain what i did, perhaps you can help me figure out whats wrong
in my burning process if it is me, my laptop or if im missing something

im running snow leopard on macbook pro
1. I downloaded a game from another thread and extracted it to .iso & .dvd formats
2. i inserted a blank DVD+R DL cd in my built in "HL-DT-ST DVDRW"
(DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW)
3. I used both ISOx360 & iBurn360 to burn the game, both started normally and perfectly
then suddenly without even reaching 50% the burning process is finished!
when i insert the cd again in my laptop it recognise it as a blank dvd

plz help me out here as im really confused and whatever im doing
i just seem to be wasting double layer dvd's for no reason :sick:
thnx in advance

WhiteHot
30th September 2010, 06:00 PM
Well, first of all, you shouldn't be able to read it as a 'blank disc' if anything is actually on it... if you hold it under the light do you see a burn line?

If you don't and it's blank then you haven't actually wasted any.

What is the error when it stops? Buffer underrun? Do you have 34895729354 apps open while your burning? Is the iSO on an external drive? Everything verified in ABGX beforehand? 7.84GB file?

I close all apps but iSOx360, verify with ABGX (sometimes, my console is banned) and drag and drop into the app and click burn. Wish I knew what else to say here. My iSO is always on the local drive, never via FireWire or USB external.

Mo.ie
30th September 2010, 09:07 PM
yes i do see the burn line, some dvds have it near the edge & others about quarter
so its not consistent

it doesnt show any error msg, just says "burn finished" or so
i close all apps when i run it, perhaps i should try closing the apps in the menu bar
the iso is on the mac, same hard drive

ABGX gives me some yellow writings on some games
i guess thats whats wrong but how can i fix that problem? is there a way?
other games pass and verified
and the .ini file is downloaded, should that be used during the burn process?

WhiteHot
30th September 2010, 09:56 PM
Well, just the apps in the dock should be fine. Closing menu bar apps is sort of overkill.

ABGX question was just more or less to see how familiar you are with the burning process. Yellow probably just means it hasn't been verified in ABGX database yet. No big deal.

Usually set to 'AutoFix Level 3' to fix yellow writing if available.

Have you burned games before and it's just stopped working? Or has it never worked? Can you burn regular data DVDDL's that'll work in your Mac? Other CD types are working/burning fine?

Mo.ie
30th September 2010, 10:38 PM
my mac burns other cds without any problems, but this is my first time to ever burn a game
i just noticed the dvd dl case reads: for exclusive use in 8X DVD+R Double Layer drives
could that be the problem???

WhiteHot
30th September 2010, 10:44 PM
Could be. Does say exclusively.

I would have to recommend to you 'Verbatim 2.4x DVD-DL'. May be the most expensive (~$2.50/each) but they're all you'll ever need, they're quality discs, and compatible with everything.

9 times out of 10 people will recommend Verbatim as the choice for 360 iso games.

Mo.ie
30th September 2010, 11:07 PM
I did order Verbatim 8.5 GB DL DVD+R 8X online and expecting them to arrive tmrw
ill see how those work out and update u

69Voltage
1st October 2010, 06:03 PM
Burning games is hard on your MacBook Pro's stock drive. Eventually, after burning X amount of games on mine, MATSH*TA DVD-R UJ-867, it wouldn't burn games properly. This might be your problem.

I ended up buying an external drive so that I wouldn't completely destroy my MBP's drive. Haven't had a single problem with it and if/when I burn it out, it's a lot cheaper than replacing your MBP's drive.

http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-external-dvd-burner-GP08NU40.jsp

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gp08nu40&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10994431603554250977&ei=GAWmTLLtHI_msQPZ4qT-Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAg#

I too have used the Verbatim DL's exclusively, but a buddy has had success using Ridata DVD's. Hasn't made a coaster yet so I'm going to give them a try when my Verbatim's run out.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridata-Double-Layer-cakebox-Silver/dp/B0009W7ENA

Sweet
1st October 2010, 06:25 PM
You need a new DVD burmer

batman1876
1st October 2010, 06:52 PM
I had this problem too. I had Memorex disks which work very poorly with Macs. I went 0 for 20, every burn failed. Once I got verbatim disks I have never had a burn fail.

MadMacs
1st October 2010, 06:52 PM
I use X360_ISO_Hacker for burning on my iMac. Works perfectly.

WhiteHot
1st October 2010, 07:46 PM
Do note that you cannot use that for Online xbox, it will flag it hugely. It modifies the data to make it work, rather than setting the correct layerbreak. But yes, it does work.

69Voltage
1st October 2010, 08:44 PM
I've been using ISO Hacker for about 10 games so far, which I've played online, and haven't had a problem yet. The reason I went to ISO Hacker is that ISOx360 did not recognize my external drive.

badkem
1st October 2010, 09:26 PM
i use iburn360 to burn my games..works fine

diablo777
2nd October 2010, 02:53 AM
Do note that you cannot use that for Online xbox, it will flag it hugely. It modifies the data to make it work, rather than setting the correct layerbreak. But yes, it does work.

really? been using it for years and never been flagged or banned besides the mass banning they did... but also the new memorex dvdr dl are in better compatibility with mac. but yea verbatim is the 100% best way to go...

WhiteHot
2nd October 2010, 04:07 AM
Well just thinking about it and the way they detect users; they basically MD5 the console to sniff out the faulty numbers in the DVD drive. If you use an app to burn the games that actually modifies the game data to work, rather than just miss a stealth part or whatever when burned with iSOx360/OSx360.

But yes, at this point, it seems that we'll all be banned eventually and soon enough.

bersgurs
2nd October 2010, 02:45 PM
i think you need to check layerbreak option

WhiteHot
2nd October 2010, 07:05 PM
Could be the cause. OP, did the apps you burned with say layerbreak '1913760'?

TheGreatestJew
2nd October 2010, 11:29 PM
ive been using xiso hacker too but i check the burned games right after in abgx and everything is green so doesnt that mean its safe to use?

69Voltage
3rd October 2010, 01:20 AM
Ok WH, I know understand a little of what you're talking about with ISO HACKER.

Every game I've burned using it so far, I just hit the "Burn" tab. It burns the DVD and I play the game. Never seen anything else happen. Until today. Opened the file I wanted to burn, clicked "Burn", and it immediately switched to the "Hack" tab and ran for about 5 minutes. I assume it was adding to the files needed that you've mentioned. Stealth fixing? First time in about 10 games this has happened.

Could you easily explain what ISO HACKER is doing?

Mo.ie
4th October 2010, 06:16 PM
ok so here's the update
i got the Verbatim dvd dl and tried burning with it and again it failed
i tried using X360 ISO Hacker to burn and it failed aswell
this time it gave me an error msg saying that the dvd writer behaved inappropriately
and cant recover or retry

so i guess im left with no option other than buying a new external dvd dl writer
thnx everyone for ur help specially WhiteHot & MadMacs

WhiteHot
4th October 2010, 09:14 PM
Ok WH, I know understand a little of what you're talking about with ISO HACKER.

Every game I've burned using it so far, I just hit the "Burn" tab. It burns the DVD and I play the game. Never seen anything else happen. Until today. Opened the file I wanted to burn, clicked "Burn", and it immediately switched to the "Hack" tab and ran for about 5 minutes. I assume it was adding to the files needed that you've mentioned. Stealth fixing? First time in about 10 games this has happened.

Could you easily explain what ISO HACKER is doing?

Ha. Well, any number of things it could be doing really, but it certainly is NOT fixing any stealth (remember, this is inserting data into the game to force the laser to read a new layerbreak, instead of burning the data with the layerbreak embedded at the beginning of the launching of the game) or doing anything else I should think.

I do believe it was the first burner available, and then iBurn360 shortly after. Both butcher the game up lol.

ok so here's the update
i got the Verbatim dvd dl and tried burning with it and again it failed
i tried using X360 ISO Hacker to burn and it failed aswell
this time it gave me an error msg saying that the dvd writer behaved inappropriately
and cant recover or retry

so i guess im left with no option other than buying a new external dvd dl writer
thnx everyone for ur help specially WhiteHot & MadMacs

That sucks bro! Sorry to hear. Just console yourself in the fact that after you get yourself a decent burner and burn ~3 games, all the money on discs and burners and the hassle you went through will be forgotten when you realize you just 'saved' ~$180. :dance:

Jimmylee7706
7th October 2010, 09:17 PM
my mac burns other cds without any problems, but this is my first time to ever burn a game
i just noticed the dvd dl case reads: for exclusive use in 8X DVD+R Double Layer drives
could that be the problem???

I have an iMac, and I can burn CDs and DVDs but I have never been able to finish a DL Dvd, it always stops early, I just started burning them on my PC.

antoclau
8th October 2010, 02:26 AM
A few things I know:

- I could not burn any xbox 360 isos on MacbookPro since update 10.6 (I didn't have any problem with 10.5)

- Isn't a drive problem (mine is Mats-ita UJ-868) since mine is almost new (and also tried to burn on latest brand new 2010-MPB, same problem)

- I'm 100% sure that is NOT AN ISO PROBLEM since I first checked isos with mac-ABGX, then I set the correct layerbreak when burning with "x360 iso hacker" (or "ISOx360", I tried both) and after burning fails, I take the same .dvd & .iso file generated by mac-ABGX to a Win7 PC and burn it with ImgBurn and it works. THEN I recheck the burned disc on win-ABGX with the "Check Burned DVD" option (not available on mac-ABGX) which confirms a perfect disc.

- I'm using Verbatim DVD-DL 8x (made in Singapore)

CAUTION: I noticed that "x360 iso hacker" was corrupting isos -- when says "patching". How to check this? On mac run ABGX, then run x360_iso_hacker, wait for it to "patch" the iso, then don't burn it, just check the iso again with ABGX, ha! not stealth now. Not nice for playing online!!

SOLUTION? haven't found anything for burning xbox 360 isos on OSX 10.6. I'm now using a PC+imgburn for this tasks. Will try bootcamp on macbookpro to see if works...

WhiteHot
8th October 2010, 09:16 AM
Your caution is what I was saying earlier, it doesn't actually 'patch' anything as much as 'hack'. It's in the title. As you said, if you let it 'patch' and then run that iso through ABGX it fails horribly and needs to be set to LVL 3 AutoFix to be fixed again.

Definitely not stealth. But, seems like a software conflict? I'm at a loss.

dude2001
8th October 2010, 08:34 PM
"iburn360" works everytime for me. And it's freeware!

adamb2010
8th October 2010, 09:17 PM
I don't play online, to tight to buy a wireless adapter but found the only program for me
was x360 iso hacker. Not pretty but it hasn't failed me yet.
tried iburn 360 it started to burn the discs the just stopped and I had to reboot my machine to get the disc out, same thing happened with iso360.

I'm on a new iMac (bought about two months ago) running snow leopard.

For a PC option I also managed to burn through VMware fusion running windows 7 from Boot camp cant remember the disc copy software, think it might of been clone CD or Imgburn

hope this helps

cschmach
8th October 2010, 10:46 PM
I use both my MacBook Pro & iMac's stock drives to burn. I only use Verbatim discs. I also use XBox360 ISO Hacker & abgx360. Been playing online for over a year strong now.

OP, where do you store the ISO & DVD file for burning? I make a folder on my desktop and drag both into it, then link to the ISO that way. When done, I drag it to my external for storage. I tried to burn by leaving it on my external, but it wasn't always successful; so I drag it back to my desktop when needed again.

allstarrm17
9th October 2010, 02:01 AM
Use Osx360. It comes ready to with everything u need. Are you sure u have the right DVD-R drive? -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW is what you should see next to your DVD drive when looking in the system profiler.
Here's the program. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FBRD0CKF. I just uploaded it for you.

deeppockets
18th October 2010, 12:30 AM
Have you tried repairing your disk permissions?

Utilities Folder>Disk utility>Highlight your Mac HD>click repair permissions.

My internal dvd drive stopped burning DL discs after a firmware update from apple support website,after many people complained it was taken down and buried a few days later.It will burn regular dvds and cd`s ok though. I even took it to bits and cleaned the lens when I swapped out my harddrive,no joy.

Excellent In depth instructions/videos on repairing macs/changing harddrives etc

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/mac-repair.php

Mo.ie
18th October 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm tempted to try the repairing disk permission method
will give it a shot and try again...
although i believe ill be wasting another dl dvd =P

bobdole454
19th October 2010, 07:13 AM
wow thats weird

bigmike569
19th October 2010, 05:27 PM
i had same problem i switch to OSx360 and it burn with no problem . try downloading OSx360 for mac .and i use memorex dvd and they work great.